[ The PC Guide | Site Guide
| Version History and Old Site Updates ]
Old Site Updates - November 2000
November 27, 2000:
- Index Page Entries Compacted: In the last site update, I realized the
main front page index was too long, so I changed the code to make the entries appear
closer together. I liked the way this turned out, so for this update I have duplicated the
change across the entire site. This will let you see more of the entries in each index and
reduce how much you need to scroll the index frame to find all the content pages in a
- Hard Disk Interfaces Section Overhauled: I have completely rewritten
the Reference Guide section on Hard Disk Interfaces.
This rewrite took a long time, as I greatly expanded my coverage of interfaces used for
hard disks and other storage devices. This includes an updated and comprehensive look at
both the IDE/ATA and SCSI interfaces, complete with numerous diagrams
- New Reference Guide Section: I have added the first new section to the
Reference Guide since the site went up in late 1997: the Reference
Guide section on Keyboards. This 66-page section contains all the information you are
likely to ever want about how keyboards work, and is fully illustrated. Check it out and
let me know what you think.
- New Fundamentals Section on Signals and Clocking: To support the
rewrite of the hard disk interfaces material, and for future reference from other areas of
the site, I created several pages that describe how PC
signals and clocking work. You may find them instructive.
- November Industry Update: I have posted the Industry Update for November 2000, by Dean Kent of Real World Technologies. Dean is
a friend of mine and a knowledgeable insider in the computer industry; his updates will
tell you the latest about what's happening in the world of PC technology.
- Buyer's Guide Changes: I made several smallish changes to The PC Buyer's Guide, in response to feedback from several
- Disk Edition PayPal Update: As I mentioned last month, the online
payment service PayPal has made some rather negative changes to their service. Based on
these modifications, I have changed my position on the use of this service for Disk
Edition orders; I will still accept PayPal payments, but no longer enthusiastically
recommend the service, as I once did. I have changed several pages in the Disk Edition
- New Operating System Link: I added a link to WUGNET, the web site for the Windows Users Group
Network. Lots of tips, software and reviews related to Microsoft Windows operating
- Another New Operating System Link: I added a link to RegEdit - Windows Registry Guide. This is an
interesting site dedicated specifically to issues related to the Windows registry. If
you're a hard-core Windows tweaker, check it out...
- Power Rails Clarification: I clarified a note on this power supply functions page, where I
had wondered where the term "rail" comes from in the power field. Thanks to
Brent for the explanation!
- Tpyo Fiexs: I fixed a bunch of typos all over the site. ;^)
November 21, 2000:
- Update: Well, the last update should have been up by now, but
as you can see, it is not. :^) I'm currently transitioning my process of working on the
site so that I can get more material covered in the same amount of time, but there's an
up-front investment of time that is causing some one-time delays. In addition, I suffered
a hard disk failure on my main system, which tied me up for several days fixing it. I do
thank you for your continued patience.
Site Updates - October 2000
Home - Search
- Topics - Up