PDA

View Full Version : Cookie:problem signing in to Yahoo Mail!

chivy30
05-30-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi all, Please I need help in getting over this cookie problem. Whenever I want to sign in to my yahoo mail, it refuses and brings up instead this message "The browser you're using refuses to sign in. (cookies rejected)".

I have tried resetting the preferences under "Internet tools" to accept all cookies, yet the problem persists. Would appreciate a stepwise direction on how to overcome this problem.

Chidi

Sylvander
05-30-2006, 08:01 AM
Despite the fact that your browser [which one?] is NOW set to accept all cookies, it's probably too late for that site because it's probably already is listed as a site for which cookies are not to be accepted.
Go look at your list of banned sites.
Image of my...
"Firefox | Tools | Options | Privacy | Cookies | Allow sites to set cookies | Exceptions"
...shown below.
In Firefox these can be reset to "Allow".

chivy30
05-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I am actually using Internet Explorer 6. Do you think it will be the same step as in firefox? I will try it out though!

Fred_Flintstone
05-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Internet Explorer cookie management is handled in:
"Tools\Internet Options\Privacy\Advanced.

Here, you can override automatic cookie management and set you own preferences..ie: allow or block first party/third party cookies..allow session cookies etc.. hope it helps!.. ;)

chivy30
05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks Fred Firestone for your suggestion, but I tried the steps you outlined and it still didn't rectify the problem. Funny enough, there were no sites blocked. I did put the yahoo mail url to allow all cookies from the site, yet it didn't work. Do you think if I find and install an update of internet explorer that it would work?

Thanks

Sylvander
05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I wonder if...
"IE | Tools | Options | Security | Custom Level | User Authentication" is set to "Anonymous Logon" [see below]?
Would this attempt to log you in without giving name and password?

chivy30
05-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Tried the last suggestion by Sylvander and it still didn't get me across the hurdle. I also tried some suggestion from Microsoft knowledge base - deleting the cookies from the Internet Option of Control Panel. I thought that would have taken care of the old cookies accepted and stored by yahoo.com, yet it didn't work. getting desperate on how to get over this problem.

Thanks

Sylvander
05-31-2006, 04:50 AM
To explain myself more clearly...
You should NOT have it set to "Anonymous Login", but to something like "Prompt for user name and password".

Is your PC's date, time and year correctly set?
Cookies are time limited and won't work if the year is wrong on your PC.

Here's my IE "Tools | Options | Privacy | Web Sites | Edit" settings.

Fred_Flintstone
05-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I have a yahoo mail account ..
I can reproduce this error in Opera browser by disabling cookies.
I also am using Internet Explorer 6 (when it can't be avoided).. :D

I don't get the same error message in IE but the result is the same.
Cookies disabled = no login to mail.
Cookies enabled = login success.

Even by setting the privacy level to "default" I can still login to Yahoo!

Could there be something else blocking cookies??.. ie. firewall??
I used to use Zone Alarm which was a bit of a pain in this area with the privacy settings if I recall correctly?? :confused: