View Full Version : NT/ Novell
01-05-2001, 10:41 AM
I've been trying to fdisk a hard drive that at one time was set up with Windows NT. I went through the normal ways of Fdisking but for some reason I can't delete the partitions. One partition being 86% drive 1 and the other only being 14% drive 2. Someone told me that Windows NT and Novell hard drives need to me fdisked and formatted differently. Any ideas??
01-05-2001, 12:38 PM
The install programs of both NT and Netware will allow you to delete and rebuild partitions if for some odd ball reason Fdisk can't.
Netware will need about 150MB-200MB of space on a fat16 partition to hold the server startup files.(Netware 5)Netware will then give you options ( during install and later)about how you want the rest of the drive or drives partitioned.
NT only allows you to partition and format the system partition during install. So make sure you format in fat16 since your dual booting NT and Netware. After that NT will allow you to partition and format using the Disk administrator program in NT.
So I would install NT first. Delete all partitions and rebuild the system one. Then install Netware. Just remember that the only partition they'll have in common will be that fat16 system partition. So leave some space on your drive for the Netware partition that will hold the SYS volume.
Oh.. and before I forget you'll need to boot to DOS to start/install the Netware server.
[This message has been edited by scada (edited 01-05-2001).]
01-06-2001, 09:51 AM
Thanks scada, I was hoping to reformat and use the hard drive just to install windows 98, but the process seems difficult,however I'm keeping your info here for future reference.
01-06-2001, 07:44 PM
This seems pertinent: http://www.computing.net/windowsnt/wwwboard/forum/8680.html
I've heard of the utility delpart.exe before but haven't used it.
Pulling for a SmartLabrador (http://www.labradorit.nf.ca/smartlabrador/)
01-06-2001, 09:06 PM
Thanks scada and sleddog, with your help I'm able to finally get some where. Like I said before, this is the best forum I've seen to date, everyone here seems so willing to help out. And belive me, this place has done it.
06-08-2001, 08:46 PM
When using FDISK select to remove a NON-DOS partition.
As an option in NT is to Create a NTFS partition instead of FAT
Hope this helps.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.