PDA

View Full Version : monitor probs

proby
08-31-2000, 03:20 PM
when booting up my computer, the 1st screen
is unreadable(wavey all over the screen like when the phone rings near the monitor)
then when its on its 2cnd boot main logo its seems to be alright any help
ps its not buy any phones etc
also my freinds ram is coming up as 24 meg ram when he has 32meg any idea the prob

der King Mongo
08-31-2000, 07:05 PM
No idea on the monitor--I assume you've ensured that the cable is seated properly, and the pins are not bent or missing?

As for the ram, what sort of RAM does he have? Are we talking SIMMs or DIMMs? If he has a single DIMM, then one of the circuits on the module is likely bad. Not much you can do about that. If you had a DIMM with 4 circuits, and one was bad, you'd have exactly 24MB leftover.

If he's using SIMMs, then you might try moving the modules around, or removing rows at a time, to isolate the "bad" module, or find the "bad" slot(s). Again, he's likely screwed unless the machine/memory is under warranty.

Charles Kozierok
08-31-2000, 10:23 PM
I don't understand the video problem; please explain in more detail.
The RAM problem: did it always have 24, or did it happen after an upgrade, or did it happen out of the blue? That's mandatory information to have a prayer of helping...

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

proby
09-01-2000, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by ixl:
I don't understand the video problem; please explain in more detail.
The RAM problem: did it always have 24, or did it happen after an upgrade, or did it happen out of the blue? That's mandatory information to have a prayer of helping...

came brand new with 32 meg sdram
hard to explain the monitor , but its like a LOT of interverance ,can hardly read the screen. but ok while loading up after that

Charles Kozierok
09-01-2000, 03:30 PM
The memory could be 8 MB short because 8 MB is being used for video memory if the video card is integrated; check in the BIOS setup.

I don't know what the monitor problem is, I'm sorry. Try booting in safe mode and see if the video card is set incorrectly?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...