PDA

View Full Version : cd rom not working

tuckercom
11-05-2000, 05:13 PM
I have an older computer that is windows 95, pentium. It has an Acer cd rom 8x that when I try to use I get an error message "d:/ is not accessible. The device not ready". I have loaded the correct drivers,double checked the config.sys & autoexec.bat files which I think are fine, I just don't know what is wrong. Also when I go into my computer and right click on the cd rom drive, scroll down to eject, the tray does eject.?????????

If someone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Paleo Pete
11-07-2000, 08:20 PM
Sounds like a bad CD ROM drive. 8X is pretty old, could be either dirty or just plain gone. You can try to clean it, open the case, remove the CD ROM drive and take off the top. Inside you'll find two round usually black drive hubs, above and below the disk tray. Clean them with rubbing alcohol, and be careful not to touch the laser lens.

When reinstalling the drive make sure the ribbon cable is plugged in the correct way, with the colored stripe on one side oriented toward the #1 pin on the back of the drive.

If the drive still doesn't work after this, remove it from Device Manager in Safe Mode, reboot and let Windows find and install it again, and check to be sure you have current drivers.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)