PDA

View Full Version : Winamp/Wav hassles

MrBungle
11-20-2000, 11:54 AM
I have recently started frequenting a chat forum where people can play wavs...you can hear these as long as they have sent you the appropriate file. However, I cant hear some of them. If I go to where they are stored, they are there and listed as winamp media files and look just like all my other wavs..(which I can hear). I try to play them, winamp opens but then I get a message saying destination file cannot be found. I have tried allsorts of programmes to try and convert them to Mp3s or whatever, but no programme will recognise them even though they are defintely listed as winamp media files?..any help apppreciated.

rUzz
11-21-2000, 03:49 AM
If your are looking for software to convert a mp3 to wav, use your winamp.
Go to winamp menu/options/preferences/plugins/output/Nullsoft Disk Writer plugin/then select dir for wav to be sent. Then you just play the selected song and WinAmp will write it as a wav to the folder you selected. The better mp3z are wrote with winamp it defaults your your sampling rate to the optimum speeds.(a classic mistake in mp3z)

------------------
Stay alert, stay alive!

MrBungle
11-21-2000, 11:09 AM
Okay..that helps with part of the problem..BUT I still have the problem of some wavs just not being recognised by winamp at all...nothing.. nada...and so, I cant even convert them to MP3s because winamp refuses to play them even though they ARE wavs....any more suggestions welcome http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif..thanks

rUzz
11-23-2000, 09:30 PM
Mr. Bungle,
You probably just need to reinstall your win-amp. When you look at the file in question using your explorer does the file info check out. Example:
c:\windows\chord.wav 95K winamp media file date modified
Winamp should play it. I can tell you that winamp will read the title and display it even if the file has no size or corrupt. What I am trying to say is if you download a wav/midi/MP3 file and you get cut off after you start the download sometimes windows will leave the title in the folder you were downloading to. Winamp can read this but there will be no actual file there. Double check this by playing a wav. (winamp media file) from windows/media directory. If you can play a file from there then it is your other wav files that are corrupt not your winamp. If it won't play one of these wavs your Winamp is corrupt.
Let me know how you do

------------------
Stay alert, stay alive!