PDA

View Full Version : Monitor appears to stretch itself

Joe_Lomas
11-29-2000, 03:34 PM
I just noticed recently that my monitor would stretch itself really wide and blurry on the outer edges. Only way to correct this is to turn it off and turn it back on about 1 minute later. Don't know if this is related or what, but I noticed sometimes when my lamp flickers or the house AC turns on, is when this happens. Don't know if I should place the monitor cord in another outlet. Only problem, I don't have an extension cord long enough. I have a packard bell 3070a monitor that's 2 years old with the latest drivers. I have an Athlon 800 and voodoo5 5500 with latest drivers and directx 8.0. The card is around 6 months ago and this just started about 1 week ago. Also, don't know if this is related, but it also happened a few days after I installed directx 8.0.

BigBlue66
11-29-2000, 04:41 PM
Hey Joe,

I seriously doubt if it has anything to do with your video card or DirectX. Sounds more like electromagnetic interference, either from peripheral components/electrical circuits, or a magnetized monitor. I am running a Voodoo 4500 with Directx 8.0 with no problems.

One option, if it is available for your monitor, is de Gaussing. (Not sure if that is spelled right. I just bought a new monitor with that feature, so it's a fairly new concept to me) The de Gaussing is supposed to demagnetize the monitor.

If you don't have this feature on the monitor, can you try to move your computer workstation to a different section of the house? Maybe a totally different circuit than the one you're on now is the answer. Do you have any electrical components running near your computer, other than the obvious computer components?

Let us know what happens. If you have the de Gaussing feature, try that first, before upheaving your entire workstation.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66

BigBlue66
11-29-2000, 04:53 PM
Me again, Joe.

Continuing with the theory of peripheral electromagnetic interference, have you recently set some sort of electrical appliance or something, next to, or close to your computer? Such as a fan maybe?

It just struck me odd that you have been going for a few months with no problems and then all of a sudden, whammo, problems. Could be related to something that you have done just recently. With computers, that is more often the answer.

If you have in fact set some sort of electrical component next to your computer, move it and see what happens, or doesn't happen.

Otherwise, my ideas of either demagnetizing the monitor or moving to a different circuit altogether still stand.

Big Blue

Hardtek1976
11-29-2000, 10:02 PM
Hi Joe.

Yes it is possible for your monitor expand in width and cause poor focusing if your ac voltage where to drop. First thing to try is to move it to another outlet especially if it is on the same line as a high power device (fridge, stove, air conditioner). If you're gong to use an extension cord make sure it can handle the current 10 amps. Sorry to say but electromagnetic interference will not cause your problem it causes purity to be improper, a complete singular colour screen should be even all the way across (degaussing will solve this). It appears to be your hyrdo being to low or that your monitor needs to be repair. Try it if all possible on a friends computer to confirm this. For your info the reason I use voltage and current is that power=voltage x current "that is the equation".

PS For you Star Trek fans out there what episode was the saying "That is the equation" from.

Ron

herbert
11-29-2000, 10:53 PM
It could be directx. The monitor refresh rate might be wrong. If so the monitor could possibly get damaged. My monitor turns itself off if it doesn't like the refresh rate. You can override the default refresh setting using the DxDiag More Help tab. You need to know the correct setting of course.

Otherwise I would think it's a thermally induced electronics fault in the monitor.

BigBlue66
11-30-2000, 11:11 AM
Good call Herbert. I had not considered the refresh rates, although the fact that he has recently installed DX8.0 should have been a clue.

It would definitely be a place to start.

Big Blue 66