PDA

View Full Version : Video Problems In W2K

Arrow
12-26-2000, 10:58 PM
Just installed Win2K but cannot run any Win2K compatible games on it. Unreal Tournament starts and tries to go in full screen, but returns into window; Mechwarrior 4 (Microsoft) does not run at all – gives message that the hardware is incompatible. DxDiag (DirectX diagnostic) under Display Tab cannot see any video memory (the card has 32Mb) and under DirectX Features is stated that: DDraw Status, D3D Status and AGP Status are “Not Available”.
The system is Celeron 400, VIA 133A chipset on Tyan400 m/b, Elza Erazor3 video card with TNT2 chipset and 32 MB of video memory, 256 Mb RAM…
I have tried to:
· Reinstall video drivers (the latest ones) from both the manufacturer and Nvidia;
· Reinstall DirectX8.0;
· Remove video adapter and install it again;
· Double-check all hardware settings for shared or conflicting hardware.
Finally, I am not sure about this but the desktop icon colours seems as if they were set to 256 colours while they are actually set to 16 bit.
I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.

scada
12-27-2000, 11:15 AM
I would download and apply the latest service pack for Win2K. Also check Via's web site for any updates for that chip set.

Good Luck http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

Arrow
12-27-2000, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I have already done that - no luck.

scada
12-27-2000, 05:30 PM
Windows 2000 has problems with Via's AGP controller. This link takes you to one reported fix for an AGP problem with Via's chipset.

Q261601 (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q261/6/01.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=agp&rnk=8&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=WIN2000)

There is at least one other problem that I have heard about. But I don't have that information with me.

Also check your refresh rate. Make sure that it is one that supports the resolution your trying to use. Make sure that your Via drivers have been installed in the right "mode". Normal for 2x Turbo for 4x. Make sure also that you have Nvidia's version 1.88 or above drivers for the TNT2.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 12-27-2000).]

Arrow
12-30-2000, 04:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I tried everything (including register tweaking and SFC - system file check) - nothing helped. I have reinstalled Windows and everything works fine now. My gues is that one of the system files got corupted.