PDA

View Full Version : Sound and Video Problems

Qbart
01-19-2001, 03:02 PM
I have a pentium 200 with 64mb of ram and I'm running windows 95b. I have just replaced the hard drive with a Western Digital 20gig Ultra DMA/66. My question now is when I go to play MP3's they play all choppy and distorted.
I have looked at other peoples posts and when I saw going to the control panel and clicking my sound card and then settings to check on full duplex operation I dont have a settings tab! But checking full duplex operation sounds very familiar to me though, like I did that in the past! I have tried to update my drivers for my sound card which is an OPTI A931 but all the drivers appear to be the same. Also when I click on my video card which is a Hercules Stingray 128/3D single board card there is no settings tab there as well. I have downloaded the latest drivers for that at the Hercules web site. My problem is when I scroll down a page it is all jerky and not smooth.
My feelings is something is eating up my CPU's power, is it my new hard drive. Where and how do I check on that?
All I want to do is be able to play my MP3's, if anyone can help I would be very grateful!
Thank you!

------------------
DOH!

Qbart
01-19-2001, 03:13 PM
Another note: I have also Cntr-Alt-Deleted all programs except Explorer and Systray and that doesnt help. Also the MP3's play more like they are underwater and in slow motion. I used to be able to play them on this computer until I changed hard drives!

------------------
DOH!

[This message has been edited by Qbart (edited 01-19-2001).]

Paleo Pete
01-20-2001, 07:42 AM
Check in Internet Options and enable smooth scrolling. I'm not sure if it will help, but it's worth a try.

Also check out System Optimizations and Enhancements (http://www.pcguide.com/opt/opt/index.htm) and Operating System Performance Optimization (http://www.pcguide.com/opt/opt/os.htm) from the good ol' PC Guide. You may find some tweaks there that might help. Jerky scrolling is usually related to system resources and memory. You might also check your video resolution, setting it to too many colors can also have a detrimental affect on performance. Drop back from 32 bit to 24 bit true color and see if it does better.

The video Acceleration setting is in the display settings area. Right click on the desktop and click Properties, then the Settings tab, then the Advanced button, look for a Performance tab. While you're there, check the monitor refresh rate, look it up in the documentation or the manufacturer's website to see what's best for your monitor.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Qbart
01-20-2001, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the tips on the video resolution; that seems to help! How do I get to my sound card settings; I should make it a little more clear..When I try to play MP3's they are distorted. How do I change the settings on my sound card? There is no settings tab in the control panel? I appreciate any help you can give me!

------------------
DOH!