PDA

View Full Version : Monitor/Win 98 problem after attempting to use DVD

twren
01-16-2001, 03:12 PM
Help. AFter a guest tried to get a DVD to play in my DVD player (I've never used) on my Gateway Win. 98 PC, my monitor won't display anything but a blue blank screen and I can't get into Windows 98. This is what happened. He tried to play the DVD and got a lack of memory error Message. Then he crashed the computer trying to get it to work. When it was rebooted it worked again and I told him not to try to make the DVD work but he did anyway. He doesn't remember what he went into or what he was fooling with but it crashed and now when I try to reboot I can only get into DOS, I can't get into Windows 98 and I just get a blue monitor. When I checked monitor controls they seemed to be set in the normal positions. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot. Desperate. Tracy

hiredgoonz
01-16-2001, 10:57 PM
Could be a registry problem...you can replace the current registry with a backup (which windows makes periodically)

You can try this: turn on your computer and hold down the ctrl key until you get a win98 startup menu, choose command prompt only...once you're at the command prompt, type scanreg/restore

it will give you a list of registry backups, pick one and restore...

Of course this will only work if you can get to the command prompt, but you said you could boot to dos, so it may work...

And then don't let your "friend" play with the computer http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

Paleo Pete
01-17-2001, 09:11 AM
hiredgoonz suggestion should work, with one correction. the command should be:
scanreg_/restore with a space where the underscore is used here. Pick a backup copy that was made before the problem occurred.

Hiredgoonz just forgot to put the space in there...an easy oversight...

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

twren
01-17-2001, 10:35 AM
This additional note before I try the suggestions. By the way thanks for them. I left out that on the screen ocassionally comes the message--OUT OF RANGE--does that change your thoughts on what to do next. Twren

hiredgoonz
01-17-2001, 01:27 PM
Damn spaces...oops

Ok, that's weird that you get that message, I had the same thing happen to my gateway system periodically...for some reason, pressing the print screen button would bring it back enough to restart (I discovered this when I knew NOTHING about computers and was just hitting keys to see what would fix the problem)

If it refuses to come back to life, I would still try the registry restore...it won't hurt anything...and might fix it...on the other hand, if you're still under warranty, I would let tech support know about it...they had no suggestions for me, but maybe they have seen the problem since then...good luck

twren
01-25-2001, 08:46 AM
Hi The computer is up and going! Thanks for your suggestions. Because of your suggestions I was able to get to the SAFE MODE in WINDOWS and get to the controls. It was a reset monitor at 16bit. I just changed it back to default settings. Thanks again. Tracy