PDA

View Full Version : Dead Monitor?(Vertical Hold)

PunkyB
01-30-2001, 01:49 AM
Alright... I don't know what would cause it or how to fix it, so I'm here. What happened was I turned off the monitor one day, just leaving the speakers on so I could listen to music... When I turned the monitor back on, the vertical hold went flipsy(meaning it scrolls from bottom to top, about 20 times ever other second.. No vertical hold). I tried tightening up the wires, or trying it on another computer... But no real luck. Was curious if there is anyway to fix it before giving up and buying a new one. Thanks in advance for any response.

------------------
~PunkyB

------------------
~PunkyB

Paleo Pete
01-30-2001, 08:28 AM
Look on the back of the monitor, you might have several small plastic screws. One should be the vertical hold, and should adjust the scrolling out. Sometimes they are marked, sometimes not.

Once you get it to work, start looking around for a new monitor, when things like that start happening it's only a matter of time...

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

PunkyB
01-30-2001, 11:36 PM
Hmm... no plastic screws... It was purchased back in late 1999, isn't it a bit soon for the monitor to go flipsy on me? Any other suggestions?

------------------
~PunkyB

mjc
01-31-2001, 02:16 AM
No, it's not too soon.

Are all the control functions for the monitor handled by an on screen display?

Does the cable that connects the monitor to the computer plug in at both ends or is it hard wired to the monitor?

If it is not hard wired to the monitor then you could try replacing the cable.

Also look for a little plastic plate on the back it may be covering the screws Pete mentioned.

------------------
mjc

Randy_tx
01-31-2001, 02:50 PM
If the monitor only "scrolls" when it's in Win95/98 but looks ok during boot up........then it could be corrupted Video drivers......if it scrolls ALL of the time when turned on (even on the "postup" screen) then save yourself a lot of time and money...take it back to the store you bought it from (Most monitors are warranted for more than 1 year and even those warranted one year can be fixed free if you complain loud enough!). It is nearly ALWAYS cheaper, in the long run, to buy a new monitor than to try to get one fixed.