PDA

View Full Version : Video Troubles

Daishi
02-06-2001, 12:55 PM
I was playing Unreal Tournament the other day and it crashed. Now when I try to run anything with hardware accelerated direct3d the computer locks up or I get the message that it has become unstable. I have installed four different drivers, three from nVidia(the new one from yesturday), and the original one from compaq to no avail. I have updated the drivers on my chipset as well and I am still having problems. There are a few issues though. My modem is at the same IRQ as my video card-3. Also I upgraded? to directx 8.0 but that was about a month ago and now the problems are occuring. Is this something re-installing windows could fix or is it possible my video card has gone bad? I have a compaq 800Mhz PIII, 128Megs pc133 ram, geforce2 gts video card, sound blaster live value. Everything runs fine until I start Unreal Tournament, DiabloII, or run direct3d tests.
Any help would be appreciated.

blazer2boy
02-06-2001, 05:46 PM
I believe all you need to do is to change the IRQ for the Modem or Video card to a free IRQ.

Is the modem PCI or built in?

If the modem is PCI (in one of the whiteish collored slots)try moving it to an open slot on your Motherboard. See if this works.

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Daishi
02-06-2001, 07:28 PM
I thought about doing that but now that I have upgraded to DSL I don't need the modem any more so I may just take it out. Any reason why when I go into the bios and try to change the IRQ for the modem the video IRQ changes as well. I can't get them to be on different problems.

As for my video problem, after exhausting all of my ideas and almost re-formatting my hd, I saw that my display color setting had been changed to 16 bit color and it was 32. I changed it back to 32 bit color and now everything is working. Strange! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

Paleo Pete
02-07-2001, 10:25 AM
I thought that was a strange one, when I looked through my Unreal manual it said 32 bit True color was the preferred setting. That's the opposite of most of the games I have, they usually want a lower setting...

I haven't tried it at a lower setting, so I don't know what affect it would have. In fact I don't even have it reinstalled yet...

Glad you git it figured out.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

TomPabst
02-08-2001, 03:58 AM
Diashi....

Your best bet to solve the IRQ assignments issue is to call Compaq tech support and have them talk you through this on the phone. I don't have the time to write the volumes it would take to explain how to fix this....here. And, you'd still probably not get it right (not your fault). This is an extremely complicated issue...I have spent 30 hours or more getting this "right" on a new computer I've built sometimes...and I (relatively) know what I'm doing! You didn't indicate in your system's specs...if your video card was AGP or PCI? My guess, is that its an AGP version...and you have the modem in a PCI slot that shares an IRQ with the AGP port. You'll never get them separated without moving the modem to another PCI slot....and then you should mark the PCI slot that it came out of...."never use it again!" Also, your SB Live card is contributing to this "lockup" condition....unless it has been perfectly placed in your PCI slot configuration. If not....it will cause random lockups and this is well documented (although..its not well-documented at any official Creative site...that I know of...lol). Your "SB Live" needs to be on IRQ 5 or 9....with nothing else (except "PCI Steering")...and the "SB 16 Emulation" needs to be on which ever IRQ (5 or 9) the SB Live is not on. Confused....so are we all!

Regarding DSL...it will require a NIC card? If so, then the modem problem you have.....will be replaced by the same thing...only it will be the NIC card causing the same issue.

As I said..this is complicated....best to call Compaq tech support....or if you don't have that available...spend a few dollars and take your cpu into a local repair shop and have them reset all the PCI slots and IRQ assignments....they've probably been through this before and have good "notes" to make it go quickly. If you are going to call Compaq...have plenty of your favorite beverage...and plenty of cigarettes (if you smoke)...you'll be on the telephone several hours at the least.

Regards,

Tom

------------------
Tom Pabst
www.pabst-racing.com

Sys Specs:
OpsSys: Win98SE,IE 5.50+ /DX8
Mobo: ASUS A7V133 (VIA KT133 chipset)
CPU: Athlon T-bird 1.2gig
Ram: 512 meg(PC133)
HD: 20 Gig
Vid: C-Labs Annihilator GeForce 2 Ultra (Nvidia 7.17 ref drivers)
Snd: SB Live 5.1 X-Gamer
Monitor: 21" KDS-Sony flat-screen
PS: Antec-400w-ATX PP403X
USB Dev's: mse, kybd, race wheel, Logitech FF joy.

Daishi
02-09-2001, 01:20 AM
Wow, nice system Tom!
Thanks for the help. I guess I didn't fix the lock-up problem. It started crashing again. I called Compaq and their solution-reformat. Easy enough until it locks up half way through four times in a row. I bring it in to a service center and they get it to format and use the quick restore cd's. Guess what, now I don't have a driver for ANY card in my computer. I luckily was able to get my dsl driver off of a disk and was able to get my video driver and audio driver. I still don't have one for my nic or my 56k modem and I am missing a bunch of programs. Oh well, back to calling Compaq. Frustrating when it is a "factory restore"
If I were to change the IRQ's to having my soundcard on one by itself and my video card on one, wouldn't that cause others to be loaded with a bunch of things? I already have four or five that are sharing. Like I said the bios doesn't really give a lot of options.
More curious than anything else. Working my way up to geek-dom.

Once again, thanks for the help.