PDA

View Full Version : Monitor problems or more.....

Ginny45
02-12-2001, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone. So glad to have found such a great forum. My problem: I go to start, shut down, restart and my screen goes from black to white to the windows (98) shutting down cloudy screen and then it goes black and the computer reboots but the monitor doesn't come back on. After a period of about 10 minutes I can get it going again. I have a 19" Radius. I have switched to my smaller monitor and it reboots just fine which led me to think it had to be with my monitor but after a few queries from different computer tech's in my little area, it seems it could be perhaps the power supply going. Any other thought on this? I have tried to find information that specifically deals with this same problem but have yet to run into the very same thing. Not real computer savy but willing to learn. Thanks for any and all help.

Paleo Pete
02-13-2001, 03:22 AM
I think it's the monitor. If you have the monitor plugged into the 100v outlet on back of the power supply, try it in a wall socket or from a power strip or surge protector. If it does the same thing it's nothing to do with the power supply.

I would doubt power supply anyway, the 110v outlet for monitor is just a connector put there to allow you to tie up one less wall socket, it's not affected by the transformer inside that produces 5 and 12V DC for the motherboard. The fact that the other monitor works fine tends to indicate that the problem is with the monitor rather than the power supply, using a wall outlet will confirm it.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Ginny45
02-13-2001, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the response. Actually my monitor isn't plugged into the power supply but into a surge protector of sorts. The monitor sits atop this base. From the front of the base I can turn off the monitor, computer, lights, and printer, plus there is a master switch. I am going to do as you suggested though and that is to plug the monitor directly into a wall socket..if nothing else I shall take the monitor into a local shop and have them test it on one of theirs... I'm grateful for your reply. QUOTE]Originally posted by Paleo Pete:
I think it's the monitor. If you have the monitor plugged into the 100v outlet on back of the power supply, try it in a wall socket or from a power strip or surge protector. If it does the same thing it's nothing to do with the power supply.

I would doubt power supply anyway, the 110v outlet for monitor is just a connector put there to allow you to tie up one less wall socket, it's not affected by the transformer inside that produces 5 and 12V DC for the motherboard. The fact that the other monitor works fine tends to indicate that the problem is with the monitor rather than the power supply, using a wall outlet will confirm it.

[/QUOTE]

Reid
02-14-2001, 01:00 AM
Has the monitor worked properly before? If not, I think you should check in the BIOS to see if the monitor power control is set to DPMS. Some monitors are set to blank when sync is lost, but a newer monitor is likely DPMS compatible. If it did work correctly before, then it may be a power supply problem.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

Reid
02-14-2001, 03:30 AM
Do you have a driver disk for the monitor? It is a 5k download from Miro (http://www.mirodisplays.de/welcomee.html). It unzips into a 30k file (wish they wouldn't bother zipping such a small file). Click the Download tab, then select the disk on the page it takes you to.
If you are not familiar with unzipping a file and loading a driver, we can help with that.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

Ginny45
02-14-2001, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. The monitor had been working fine so I'm thinking that it's not in the BIOS. I wonder why the smaller monitor doesn't act the same way. I'm trying to remember exactly when I started having problems...I recently got broadband/cable and it seems ever since then I have had a few problems. I know the tech updated IE 5 to 5.5...not sure if that would do it but have heard people have had problems with the update. I did call a number for Radius monitors but they never called back...I'm thinking of reformatting my hard drive and doing a clean install of win98. I think that will be forthcoming. I also will be buying a new power supply and new video card. Should eliminate a couple potential problem areas and then I can go from there. I did download the zip file and will give that a try....I looked for such information on the web but was unsuccessful. Guess you just need to know where to look. Thanks again for your help.