PDA

View Full Version : Trouble writing audio CDRs

dave225
01-25-2001, 09:16 AM
Using Sony Spressa USB CD-RW:

I cannot write audio CDRs. Data CDRs work fine. Diskcopy of audio CDs works fine. The problem is only when trying to write audio CDRs from WAV or MP3 files. I have tried using the Hard Drive (20GB, 12GB available) and using a data CD (@42x) as the source drive.

Using Sony's CD Extreme, the application gets stuck on "Initializing Disc" - the whole system locks up and must be rebooted. (I have let the application churn for over 24 hours before rebooting - but it doesn't get any further along in the write process.) Extreme does not write any tracks to the disc. (I think it writes a TOC or something though, because the disc is unusable after attempting to write to it. I have wasted about 15 CDR blanks so far.)

Using Nero, the application gives the error - "cannot perform endtrack" Nero will write the disc partially, but gets errors 15 minutes through the burn process. (Nero doesn't lock the system like Extreme does, though.)

Both applications get through the test phase successfully prior to writing the disc.

I have tried writing at various speeds - 1x, 2x and 4x. I have no other processes running (only Systray and Explorer.) Power Schemes always on, No screen savers, Monitor & hard drives do not have power saving turned on. (However, I have been able to write Data CDRs with other apps running and screen saver, etc.)

I have tried various quality CDRs - but what I have been testing with worked fine in my old CD burner, which was also a Sony (but it would not write DATA CDRs.)

My system is AMD Duron 800MHz, 160MBRam.

I would appreciate any suggestions on fixing or troubleshooting the problem.

-Any Ideas?

mjc
01-25-2001, 09:55 AM
How new is the burner?

Could it have some form of music copy protection built in?

I know that there has been alot of fuss over new copy protection schemes to prevent people from copying music but I haven't heard of anyone implementing any yet, but since Sony is a big player in the music world maybe they have?

------------------
mjc

dave225
01-25-2001, 03:11 PM
The burner is new -

It's not copyright protection - I can copy a whole disc with no problem. And the WAVs are files I created myself from analog source.

mjc
01-25-2001, 04:46 PM
Any other USB devices plugged in?

Disk to disk copying works?

You didn't mention what kind of sound card you've got. Which MP3 format (Blade or Lame) and what do you use to create the WAV files? I'm wondering if there is some sort of incompatability with the files themselves? Something about the software used to make them that neither program likes. Also when you get them ready to put them on disk do you put them in a folder by themselves all set up and ready or do you let the burning software pick them up from several folders. (The time spent searching for them may just be enough to throw off the process)

------------------
mjc

crussty
02-16-2001, 02:21 PM
I suggest trying NTI CD Copy. I use it for everything from audio to data discs and have never had any problems. The 2000 version is the easiest programme to use from what I've found.

crussty