PDA

View Full Version : on-board stuff

supa_dre
02-18-2001, 08:46 PM
A friend of mine's computer needed a motherboard and he aquired one with onboard sound, video, network card and modem. Apart from that it only had two expansion slots, one PCI and the other ISA. this board gave me so much hell to get working probably. I installed all the drivers correctly. (I put the CD in and let it start automatically.) sound,audio,modem, the whole works were installed in a few moments. The first problem I got was that the video was only displaying 16 colors. I uninstalled and reinstalled over and over again until i got 32bit true color. Second problem was the modem. When i tried to go online whith it, it disconnected almost immediately. I got the message that the modem was not installed. But before this, every time i rebooted, i got 'New divice detected' after I witnessed all of them being installed. Anyway, i took out the motherboard and put in another one (a normal one, you know, one with expansion slots! and nothing onboard but the keyboard socket) and bam! perfect!
What I would like to know, is if anyone here has ever experienced this kind of problem.
Thanks.

ComputerMan
02-19-2001, 12:07 AM
I have gone through this many times with mobos from PC Chips. I quit buying boards with all the integrated parts, much easier to troubleshoot and repair, but a bit spendier way to go. I have had good luck with onboard lan, sound is usually fairly trouble free too but video and modems (integrated) have always given me problems, shy away from them unless a customer puts me on a real tight budget to build their pc. I try to explain that your not going to get a BMW when your paying for a VW. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
Who? Me?

computerMan

Randy_tx
02-20-2001, 11:01 AM
BINGO.......Computerman ~~!! "You get what you pay for" ...that is a fact!
to answer the question at hand....Yes I've gotten that same problem with the modem....What is happening is the "on board" modem module on mobo is being recognized by Win but the "plug in riser" that you have to install is NOT on the right PINS...sometimes its VERY hard to tell that the last two set of pins is actually not plugged in and so you have to put the riser on BEFORE you slide the mobo into place so as to ensure all pins are on the motherboard correctly. If you are CERTAIN the riser is in place correctly and it doesnt work...its likely a bad riser.

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT