PDA

View Full Version : video card + sound card = no sound effects for games

Prokilla
03-16-2001, 02:12 PM
I just installed the leadtek geforce card (voodoo3 3k agp previously). I reinstalled final fantasy 8 (had to do an emergency reformat), and installed final fantasy 7 (to check for same problem). In both games, I get the background and cut-scene music, but I don't get the game sound effects, ie battle start sequence, battle sounds (attacks, etc), doors open/close, things dropping, you get the idea. Well, I've installed all new drivers and patches. Re-installed sound card a few times. Ran the configuration programs for both games, blah blah blah. Anyone have any ideas about what I can do?

------------------
Abit KT7 mobo, Leadtek Winfast Geforce2 GTS 32MB, Relisys786 monitor, SB Live X-Gamer, Asus DVD drive, HP 9100i CDW, 2 WD HD's (20, 30), Real Magic DVD card, 640MB PC133

GROGSTER
03-17-2001, 08:03 AM
Hi!

My immediate impression is that the WAVE device is switched off.
The fact that you can hear the background music, seems to suggest that the SYNTH channel is on, but cos you can't hear the sound-effects, it would seem that the WAVE channel is off.

Check the game, and make sure that sound-effects are switched on, and check to see if the game needs to be told about your soundcard.
If the game is running under Windows, then start-up the mixer program for your sound-card, that lets you switch on or off and adjust the MASTER volume, WAVE, MIC, LINE-IN, SYNTH, CD and AUX channels.
Your card may not have an AUX, in which case, just dis-reguard that channel, but it should have all the others by default.

See, the game might automatically mute the WAVE device when you start up the game. It might be that you need to edit an .INI file for the game, to ensure that the WAVE device is on.

Keep us posted!

Good luck.

G.

Prokilla
03-17-2001, 06:56 PM
Thx for responding.
Well, I checked the mixer, and all are enabled/on. I went into the game, and there's an option for sound/music. There's two options in here; one is a music bar/note symbol, and the other is a picture of a speaker with the letters fx next to it. I'm assuming the music pic is for the music, and the speaker/fx is for the sound effects. The game says the former is not supported, and I have a choice of changing the volume of the latter. It seems to me the game has things backwards. I was looking through all the .ini files, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any help appreciated.

------------------
Abit KT7 mobo, Leadtek Winfast Geforce2 GTS 32MB, Relisys786 monitor, SB Live X-Gamer, Asus DVD drive, HP 9100i CDW, 2 WD HD's (20, 30), Real Magic DVD card, 640MB PC133