sound threw the speakers at times without any consistency as to when it
happens or trying to repeat it by doing the same thing twice. It is a procomp
bst1m-e motherboard with a celeron 700 processor with 128 meg ram the only
thing added was a Motorola modem running win 98 2nd. I used the motherboard
cd to load the drivers and everything else seams to work. I loaded the audio
drivers from the SIS630 menu. any help would be great. Thanks Keith

Kalle
03-13-2001, 07:51 AM
Is the sound clear, I mean, is it a _sound_ , not just noise?
if it's a sound is't software-related(propably).
Othervise it might be a voltage-pulse, indicating failure of your soundcard. Or speakers. Test with oter speakers or headphones to rule the last option out.
Are you able to control the volume level of the noise(from win)? If you are, it's propably a software problem. If you are not, well, I think it's time for you to get a new soundcard...

andreadebiase
03-13-2001, 08:58 AM
i had the same problem each time someone switched on the light in another room of my apt. or when another electronic device was on (hifi, laundry, dish washer). You might want to check.

Randy_tx
03-13-2001, 10:10 AM
It sounds like "background" noise to me......you must have something else on the same circuit that disagrees with your computer.......OR....you have an amplifier in the speaker system which is chattering.....if possible, try another set of speakers or turn off all appliances on the same circuit before replacing the sound card.

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

cplus
03-13-2001, 07:30 PM
There is no sound card it is on the motherboard the motherboard is new, I can turn the sound up and down with the volume control if I unplug the speakers and plug them back in it still makes the sound the only way to get it to stop is to reboot????

mjc
03-14-2001, 12:08 AM
Check for a possible driver update from the MOBO manufacturer.

Does it seem to follow the mouse, move the mouse more clicks?

------------------
mjc
I'm making my own links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

Randy_tx
03-14-2001, 09:31 AM
If rebooting makes the sound go away (Is that right?) then you have a IRQ conflict with the sound card & either the video or the modem in all likelyhood....to find out, go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager and look for any "!" by your sound card drivers ...post back if you find one. Additionally, you can go to Accessories/System Tools/System Information to find out about your Hardware "sharing" IRQ's and conflicts etc.

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

mjc
03-14-2001, 10:26 AM
If you don't have any conflicts listed in device manager, boot into safe mode (hit <f8> or <ctrl> after the POST screen and select 'Safe Mode' from the menu) then go into device manager and look for duplicated devices. If you find any duplicates remove them and then reboot. Also you may want to turn the audio acceleration down a notch, it is under the adjust audio properties (the little speaker in the lower right hand corner), playback, advanced properties.

------------------
mjc
I'm making my own links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

GROGSTER
03-17-2001, 07:10 AM
Hi!

I get this problem with sound-cards(either intergrated on-board or not) if the LINE-IN channel is NOT set to mute.

If the LINE-IN or MIC channels are left floating(IE: not connected to a microphone, or an input mixer respectively or something like that), and those channels are not muted, then the inputs will pick up lots of noise.

Start up the mixer program for your sound-card, and mute(or set the volume to zero if you don't have a mute) of any of the following channels: AUX, MIC, LINE-IN.

Cheers!

G.

cplus
03-18-2001, 08:37 PM
I tried mute on all those I updated the audio drivers, and still get the rapid pulse sold it seams to come more often and at times it will start and stop on its own without having to reboot? This is a pain to remove I have tried every suggestion and others myself with no luck? More help Please.