PDA

View Full Version : Installed Network Card, Lost Sound

TomTGC
03-19-2001, 07:58 AM
I have Windows 98 (2nd edition) and have one network card that is connected to my cable modem. I installed a second network card (for networking) and boom (or lack of boom), I lost sound. I went into Device Manager (in System Properties) and there is no sound card in sight. Since Computer was already highlighted, I clicked on Properties to see the IRQs. The sound card was previously on IRQ 5 and in its place is “IRQ Holder for PCI Steering.” It appears that all the IRQs are taken up but I don’t see one for IRQ 9. I clicked on the Reserve Resources tab and it’s blank. Is there a way to get my sound card back and still keep my second network card?

mjc
03-19-2001, 10:42 AM
Sometimes shuffling around the cards into different PCI slots will cure the problem. Some slots are usually assigned a specific IRQ but sometimes they share an IRQ with an adjacent slot.

------------------
mjc
I'm making my own links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

TomTGC
03-19-2001, 06:28 PM
Thank you for responding. Well, I haven’t taken your advice just yet. What I did instead was removed the sound card and installed the drivers for the sound card on the motherboard itself. So I have sucky sound for now and will try installing the sound card another day when I’m not pressed for time. Will post then. I do have another unrelated problem that I posted under Operating System Troubleshooting. Thanks again.