PDA

View Full Version : Old vs new video card

Kalle
03-07-2001, 04:11 AM
Why is it that some programs (mainly the game I'm hooked to right now, Starcontrol 2) doesn't run properly on new videocards.
The game works fine in both new (Celeron 566, etc) and old (80386, etc)
computers, if I use the older video card. But if I run (Win98 or dos6) with my new videocard, the colors are all wrong.
Is this just a configuration problem (I belive not, because I got the same effect when booting with new card and dos, not Win in dos mode).
My old card has a label that says NVGA 16, my new one is Voodoo 3.
It's propably not fixable, but if anyone knows why this happens, please enlighten me too.
Thanx

Randy_tx
03-07-2001, 11:28 AM
Right click on an open spot on your desktop and click "Properties" at bottom......then click the last tab - "Settings"......check to see that the new card is set to AT LEAST 16 bit or higher ...32 Bit is best. If it was set at 256 colors then that was the reason it didnt look the same http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

Kalle
03-08-2001, 05:46 AM
I's on 32bit, but hey, that's an idea! I'll try on 256 or 16 colors, but I doubt it'll work since it didn't work on dos... BTW, how do I change colordepth on dos??

the question remains unanswered...

Thanx, tough

Randy_tx
03-08-2001, 10:39 AM
Play your game in a "Dos Window" within Win 95/98 ...you can then operate at whatever color type you want.

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

Kalle
03-09-2001, 02:49 AM
Nope, tried that, failed there... it's not that simple!

Paleo Pete
03-09-2001, 08:07 AM
Some games actually work better at 256 colors. Or is that what you tried and didn't work?

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

BigBlue66
03-09-2001, 01:58 PM
Hey,

The old bald guy, (Pete), is right. Older games and even some newer games still require that you set your system to 256 colors. That should explain the difference you are having between old and new vid cards.

Cheers,

BB 66

Kalle
03-12-2001, 04:42 AM
Pete:you got it right there.

I've tried all the colour-settings in windows( 16, 256, 16-bit, 32-bit).
AND rebooted my system after changing.
The game doesn't work even when I boot from DOS, "configured" to the old card (on a separate harddisk, that is, I remove my hd with win from the motherboard and replace it with my old one, which hasn't even heard about drivers for the Voodoo-card, so it cannot be an option of too many colours, (am I rigth here?)).

Are there perhaps some setting for the monitor?

Still wondering...

mjc
03-12-2001, 11:12 AM
Yes there are color profiles for the monitor. If you go to the advanced tab in display settings you should see a color profiles tab, also some video cards have color correction or color schemes under their properties.

------------------
mjc
To ME or NOT to ME....

Kalle
03-14-2001, 03:20 AM
Nope, that's not it. I have tried all setting & combinations of these including disaling 3D acceleration. I'm pretty certain now that I cannot get the game to work without changing vid cards.
Now for my other question.
WHY?
What is the difference between these cards that makes the game malfunctioning?
Anyone, anything...

Kalle
03-27-2001, 05:07 AM
I talked to a friend, who suggested that old programs use code directly for ISA-vid-cards, so an AGP wouldn't show it correctly. Funny thing, Starcontrol I works... http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Just my luck