PDA

View Full Version : Network Card Problems

Matt
09-29-2000, 08:54 PM
I have just purchased a LINKSYS 10/100 LAN card and I am having problems sending large files over a network consoting of 3 computers. Almost every single time I send a lage file my mouse quits responding and no one can access my computer off of the LAN. Are there any network settings that I may need to change since I am running on defaults? (within network properties) Everything worls fine except large file transfers.

Paleo Pete
09-29-2000, 10:58 PM
Sounds like it's tying up all the resources it can grab. I don't know of a fix, except to try any large file transfers at off hours when other folks aren't likely to be bothered if everything comes to a standstill for a while.

The way a network operates, it sends whatever packets it needs to first, in the order in which they were requested. I might be way off base here, and maybe someone else will correct me. But I think it's simply working the network so hard it can't do anything else while you transfer large files.

Might also have something to do with the type of network.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

[This message has been edited by Paleo Pete (edited 09-29-2000).]

Matt
09-30-2000, 02:56 PM
The problem that I am having only happens when I am trying to either copy a file or read a file of some one elses computer. When I am trying read or copy files no one is usually using the network and my computer is the only one locking up (sort of). What happens when I try to transfer the file(s) is: 1. my mouse no longer will move on the screen but the mouse buttons still work 2. the keyboard still works 2. I can open and close any application unless it crashed durring the transfer (i.e. WINAMP crashes when I try to read a remote MP3 file and so on) 3. My computer still shows up on the network but cannot be accessed 4. I will usually have to reboot to regain control of my mouse.

However I have been able to host and participate in multiplayer games on the network such as Quake2 without any problems at all. Asd for rescources ALL of my IRQ's were being used and my network card is residing on IRQ 11 along with an IRQ holder for PCI steering (Video does not work without)and my Diamond Viper V770 Ultra Video card. Could there be a setting in TCP/IP that could be causing this or within the IPX/SPX settings? Also, could the fact that I am connected VIA 50 foot CAT 5 cabling to a hub cause any problems? Other then transmitting or recieving large files everything is fine.

Paleo Pete
10-01-2000, 01:28 AM
Check Device Manager for conflicts. The IRQ's all being used doesn't sound good...More system info might help too. And posting the IRQ list might give us a hint.

TCP/IP or IPX/SPX settings might be slightly off somewhere too, someone who knows more about networking might be able to give you some more ideas. I barely know how to turn these things on...

And I'm still looking for that stinkin' "Any Key"!

The mouse freezing up sounds a lot like a conflict, probably IRQ. That's the same thing that happens if you have a modem and a mouse assigned to the same COM port and IRQ, when you try to access the modem, the mouse will freeze. To get it back you have to reboot, same thing that's happening to you.

Your computer not being accessed from the network might be in the settings somewhere, but I'm not familiar enough with networking to know what to look for. Then again, it could be due to the same IRQ conflict, the signal can't get through because the "line is busy" so to speak...

------------------

Matt
10-01-2000, 05:45 PM
Here is some information about my computer:

IRQ Device

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 (free)
4 (free)
5 Creative SB Live!
5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 Creative SB16 Emulation
10 Ambient Data Fax Voice
10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
11 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11 Diamond Viper V770 Ultra for Windows 98
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

I have shutdown both of my com ports in the bios but it hasn't fixed the problem.

DMA

0 (free)
1 Creative SB16 Emulation
2 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
3 (free)
4 Direct memory access controller
5 (free)
6 (free)
7 Creative SB16 Emulation

Conflicts/sharing info (all shared)
IRQ 5 Creative SB Live!
IRQ 5 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
IRQ 10 Ambient Data Fax Voice
IRQ 10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
IRQ 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 11 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
IRQ 11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
IRQ 11 Diamond Viper V770 Ultra for Windows 98
IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

Have to have the IRQ holder for PCI steering or my video card will not work.

System info (general)
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
Clean install using Full OEM
Normal mode
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
128MB RAM
64% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1473MB free)
Available space on drive C: 1473MB of 4086MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 10096MB of 14630MB (FAT32)

Paleo Pete
10-02-2000, 01:43 AM
Makes no sense, I see nothing there that should cause the mouse to freeze. The Ethernet adapter is on IRQ 11 and the mouse on IRQ 12, that should present no problems...I'm stumped...

All the shared IRQ's should be no big problem, they're all being controlled by PCI, and it should give them all the resources they need when they need it, as far as I know...

Someone more involved in networking might be able to sort this one out.

------------------

Matt
10-02-2000, 01:43 PM
One thing that I forgot to mention about my networking problems was that the mouse was not completely frozen (most of the time.) In most cases when someone pulls a file off of my computer the actual picture of the mouse is what is frozen. I am still able to move it (invisibly) and run applications and so forth. But no one can get into my computer from the netwok once this has happened. I have been looking into the network settings and I think the problem may be there. If it is any help, here are some of the settings

NETWORK CARD ADAPTER: Linksys 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (LNE 100TX v4)
Running enhanced mode 32bit and 16 bit NDIS driver
Bound to NetBEUI and TCP/IP
(Going to try IPX/SPX Protocal later)
All wakeup functions except magic packet are disabled and the media type is set to auto sense (other setting include 10 or 100 baseT and full_duplex)
NetBEUI is also bound to both the microsoft networks and file and printer sharing protocals.
Maximum Sessions is set to 10 and NCBS is set to 12 (should these be the same for all computers on the network?)

TCP/IP settings:
IP address is set to the local network number (ex: 192.168.1.*)
Subnet mask is set to (255.255.255.0)

WINNS resolution is disbled and no gateway is specified.
also DNS is disabled except one of the other computers has this option enabled on a WIN98 computer, would this be the cause?)
Both the microsoft clients are included in the bindings.

Also my computer is connected to a HUB via a 50ft CAT5 cable that perpendicularly crosses another CAT5 networking cable, would this cause enough interference to mess up my computer? And, when my computer crashes none of the other computers seem to be affected.

Matt
10-02-2000, 03:59 PM
Been messing with the settings on the card and I found that I last a bit long when I set my network adapter to the slow 10baseT speed rather that 100baseTX or autosense. I am going to check the hub to see if it is an autosensing Hub. Also, no one else is using the netBEUI or IPX/SPX protocals on the LAN. Would this be the cause? I have also removed both those protocals and still see and can access other computers.

Paleo Pete
10-03-2000, 01:52 AM
Could be a big part of it, all computers on the network should be using the same protocols. I'm not sure which one is best for a network situation, but they all do have to use the same protocols.

I wish someone would get into this thread who actually knows a bit about networking...I'm pushing my limits just to come up with a few feeble ideas...

------------------

Matt
10-03-2000, 03:15 PM
Called Lynksys tech support and got a mixed response. I was first told that my 50 foot Catagory 5e patch cable was to long. After that I was also told that indeed there was an IRQ conflict and that I has going to have to solve it. I was told that this was due to the fact that this requires changing settigns in the bios. Still can't find any way to change the IRQ settings in the bios except for things like the com ports, parallel port, and USB. Also Windows will not allow me te redirect the NIC to one the IRQs that I had freed-up when disabling my com ports. Also someone in the TechTV chatroom said that having a Network card and a video card on the same IRQ makes a computer unstable. At this point I am not sure which solution I should try first since I am still unclear on what the excact problem is.

Matt
10-03-2000, 10:29 PM
I have found the problem and for now I am able to use my network card to it's full ability!

Here is what I did:
After digging through some of the system settings in the device manager I found that my IRQ steering tables had errors (problem for another topic since that is still not working http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/eek.gif ) I went into the BIOS and found that the PCI slot closest to the AGP slot share the IRQ (and PCI slot 5). I then remove all of my PCI cards (Modem, sound card, and NIC) After Getting the NIC off of a shared PCI slot it seems to work fine! Also Linksys tech support was correct but, their solution to the problem(changing BIOS setting) was not entirely correct and I am still steamed at the fact the after making the suggestion the tech support person refused to tell me how to go about getting the NIC on a different IRQ. Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions Paleo Pete.

Paleo Pete
10-04-2000, 01:27 AM
Never thought about a shared slot! That would explain quite a bit. Those are always a pain. In theory you're supposed to be able to use either the ISA or the PCI slot, but it doesn't always work as well in practice as it does on paper...I tried putting a video card on a shared slot once, with no card in the ISA slot, video refused to work until I plugged it into a different PCI slot. Still works perfect now, I'm posting on the same machine...

------------------