PDA

View Full Version : hard disk controllers

fishtaco
10-04-2000, 06:05 AM
i'm trying to fix a computer here at home but don't know what to do as far as troubleshooting go. My dvd & cd-rw were working properly until yesterday! The BIOS showed both of the devices but windows couldn't recongize it! There were a yellow flag under the Primary and Secondary IDE controller. What should i do? please help!

fishtaco

Charles Kozierok
10-04-2000, 11:29 PM
Weird. Did you recently install any software, update drivers?
If you open the devices with the yellow ! marks what does it say the problem is?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

fishtaco
10-05-2000, 06:45 PM
i didn't update the driver until the problem occurred, it basically said something generic like "this device is not working property or update your driver"
I attempted to update the driver and windows said the driver is the same as the old one. I'm at the point where i don't know what to do as far as troubleshooting...the computer is actually a friend of mine....i just thought i could fix the problem since i have had some sort of hardware background....

Paleo Pete
10-06-2000, 09:10 AM
Boot the machine into Safe Mode and remove all DVD and CD ROM devices, reboot and let Windows find them again. That will ususlly resolve any conflicts or driver issues.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Sunfeather
11-22-2000, 09:56 PM
I have had this problem for a long time...only I didn't know it. I had called my brother who is a computer engineer because I was lagging on my online game. After trying many many solutions this is what worked for me. I found my orginal software and popped it in the floppy (old system). It is a Win95 driver but it worked. I installed it and the computer dectected new hardware and installed the correct driver (Win95) and my conflict was resolved. Now I am not stuck in the msdos compatible mode anymore. I had even gone into the registry and deleted the Noide entry, didn't do a thing. Try to reinstall your original driver that came with your system.

This happened to my machine when I installed Win98 on a system running Win95. Apparently this problem has been there for over a year lol!