PDA

View Full Version : I too have modem trouble

sugarpopelvis
11-15-2000, 07:03 AM
can anyone tell me what i need to do to get my modem to respond? it is an internal 56k that goes into an AMR slot. i believe i have the jumper properly set as i have on board audio. able/disable com2 - i don't know. no trouble installing the driver. whatever i try, always get the same error: modem not responding...
doing all this in win95

Paleo Pete
11-15-2000, 12:24 PM
AMR slot???? Never heard of that one, usually modems use either ISA or PCI slots...

Check the documentation that came with the modem, and double check the jumper settings.

Disable the appropriate COM port in BIOS. If the modem is set to use COM 2, disable COM2 in BIOS. Don't try to use COM1, it is normally used by a serial mouse. If the modem uses COM4, it's on the same address as COM2. 2F8 is the one to disable, it's usually not listed as a COM port in BIOS, but as a numerical address. 3F8 will be COM1/3.

Check in Device Manager for conflicts. Start\Settings\Control Panel\System icon is the location, then click the Device Manager tab. Click the plus (+) beside modems and highlight your modem, then click Properties below. Click the Resources tab and any conflicts will be noted by a yellow "splatt" with a ? or ! in it.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

sugarpopelvis
11-16-2000, 03:40 AM
yes, AMR slot, which stands for Audio Modem Riser. apparently these aren't so common? my computer has an Intel 600 Celeron and 810 chipset running win95. the documentation that comes with the modem does well to explain how to do the physical install but leaves me guessing on configuration. haven't been able to discern who actually made the modem (good documentation, eh?) thus can't find out more via the internet.

device manager is free of cautions, conflicts regarding the modem. correct driver shows up in CP/Modems. tried this first with com2 enabled - didn't fly, so deleted modem, disabled com2 in bios and re-installed, again to no avail. 99% sure jumper is right as i have on-board audio (and it's working) so it needs to know i put a modem there.

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/mad.gif

Paleo Pete
11-16-2000, 10:11 PM
OK, now I know what an AMR slot is...they may not be uncommon, I've just never seen it referred to as AMR...

Is this perhaps a winmodem? Does device manager show LT, HCF or HSF anywhere? Does the box or documentation say it requires a certain CPU speed? Is it marked on the box or in the docs as a PCI modem? That's what they're calling winmodems these days...

If some of these are YES, then it has to be installed by the software that came with it, not by simply installing the driver. Look on the driver disk or CD, in Windows Explorer, and see if it has a file called install.exe or setup.exe. If so, run it. That will install the modem, and it should work.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

sugarpopelvis
11-26-2000, 07:54 AM
Thanks for your suggestions Pete
the install.exe on the cd runs fine and, as i mentioned earlier, the correct modem shows up in CP/modems and in the device manager. after installing, i got a pop-up on my next boot of win95 asking me the country i am in. the title of the pop-up box had HCF in it - so there's your clue. according to the documentation, i need at least 233 MHz, 8 Mb ram and win95. I meet those requirements (600, 64, win95). I have little knowledge of modems, but this one does appear to be a software modem - it's a much smaller card than the modem in my older PC with no big chips on it like the other. I tracked down its maker through the FCC lookup - lo and behold, there's a download (dated only 2 weeks ago) that might be this extra software required. I'm eager to try it out when i get home.