PDA

View Full Version : Mouse is making me nuts

shadowridge
12-03-2000, 10:56 PM
I have just replaced hard drive, cd rom and sound card in cyrix computer, the mouse works fine in safe mode but freezes up in regular mode, no conflicts showing, removed and let windows reninstall worked for about 30 seconds.

De R Man
12-04-2000, 12:07 AM
what OS is installed? Do you have any drive disks to inst with that device
Have all connections been checked did you upgrade from Win 3.1 to 98?

shadowridge
12-04-2000, 07:53 AM
I did a clean install with Windows 98, all connections have been checked

Paleo Pete
12-05-2000, 06:20 AM
Boot into Safe Mode and open Device Manager. Highlight Computer and click Properties This will show a list of IRQ's in use, and might show if you have a conflict. Also check the mouse category, it might also show a conflict. Sounds like something else is trying to use COM1, or if it's a PS/2 mouse, IRQ 12 would be the culprit.

The DOS utility MSD will work too, but I'm not sure if it's available in DOS mode with win 98. If nothing else you can run it from the CD if you boot using the [F8] key and choose Command Prompt Only. Finding it on the CD might be a hassle, but it's named msd.exe and to run it type msd. Somewhere on the CD is an old_dos folder, that's where it should be.

Try typing msd at the command prompt, the worst that can happen is you'll get a "bad command or filename" message.

------------------
Soon as I come up with all the answers...they change the questions!!

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)