PDA

View Full Version : Want to get connected to the WWW, please help

Alam
09-02-2000, 04:34 PM
Please help me, I am unable to log onto the Internet. I have a 56k modem installed but I get this very annoying error message:

ERROR 630: The computer is not receiving a response from the modem please check if the modem is plugged in and if necessary turn the modem off and turn it back on.

I have looked at the modem card and it is plugged in, the phone cable is plugged in also; this is connected to the PC and also to the phone socket.

FRENCHMAN
09-02-2000, 09:19 PM
JUST A THOUGHT WHO IS THE ISP YOU ARE GOING
THROUGH ? AND ARE YOU SET UP ON THEIR CONNECTING SOFTWARE CORRECTLY? PH # ETC

MOB
09-03-2000, 06:27 PM
I assume you are using an internal PCI modem and running Win 9x?
If so, have you checked to see if you can run the modem diagnostics?
Do this by clicking on My Computer, then click on Control Panel, and then,
click the "modems" icon. "Modems Properties" should show up and a tab for
diagnostics. Click on Diagnostics and you should see a list of COM ports that are enabled on your system. Your new modem should be listed there
on one of the COM ports. Usually, a new PCI modem will use COM port 4 by default if memory serves me correctly. If you're modem is not listed, then it is not installed correctly, the drivers aren't installed properly
if at all, or the modem could possibly be defective, which I doubt.

Check the following also:

If the card is not properly seated, it may still get power and the
driver could still load. The problems may not manifest itself until you try to actually attempt to dial up. When a card is newly installed and having a problem it is always best to check this.

Check the system properties to see if there are any conflicts
occurring. It may not show as an error in the
system properties; however, it could still be a conflict. Check and
see if the IRQ is shared with other PCI devices. Also, see if there
are non-PCI devices using the same IRQ.

Also, a second network card will need its own settings and can not use
the setting of the first card that is installed. If the other card is not
going to be used it should be removed before installing the new card. If the card is built into the motherboard, it may be necessary to disable it in the system BIOS. Check and see if your motherboard documentation mentions anything about disabling a device that is integrated into the motherboard.

Let me know what you find or if any of this helped!

Good luck -
Mal

Charles Kozierok
09-03-2000, 06:31 PM
Excellent suggestions, Mal! I think you covered just about all the bases there.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

ReddDogg
09-09-2000, 09:35 PM
I trouble shoot internet connection problems for a living. Everything Mob said is good points. Other things you might consider. Sometimes a software program can be accessing the modem port for some reason, andthe program might not be responding. If you use ctrl+alt+delete and close out of all tasks except explorer and systray, then try to connect. If it still doesn't, you might uninstall and reinstall the modem drivers. I have had that happen for me before.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

gibrain
12-23-2000, 12:13 AM
Have you tried looking at the software? I bought a Creative Labs 56k Modem Blaster V.90. I was gonna install it, but i had the same problem. It is due to the software tells Windows that its external, but in reality being internal. I bought a new modem made by Zoom Electronics, and installed it and it worked right.