PDA

View Full Version : modem

Matt
02-07-2001, 09:16 AM
A few months ago my modem had sort of died overnight. Since I am about to replace the computer case I am wondering if the modem is just dead, damaged, not in its slot, or if I have software problems.

here is what is happening:
modem does show up in device list
modem will try to dial but only dials before it opens the line
when using the modem commands it takes almost 30 seconds to get the modem to open the line when doing anything

I am hoping to rule out a power surge especially since I have my computer plugged into a surge protector that does support phone lines.

Paleo Pete
02-07-2001, 09:33 AM
Go to Start\Settings\Control Panel\Modems Highlight your modem and click Properties in the Connections tab, put a check in the box beside Wait for Dial Tone Before Dialing Make sure the settings are Data Bits 8, Parity none, Stop Bits 1. Check the Dialing Properties button, and be sure it's set to tone dialing, not pulse, and usually in Area Code Rules you should not have Use 10 digit dialing checked.

Try the phone dialer in Accessories, see if it tries to dial a regular phone number correctly.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Randy_tx
02-07-2001, 09:50 AM
In addition to the above, go to control panel ...double click the modem icon....then the diagnotics tab ..highlight the com you modem is on .......and then click "more infor.." tab.....this will TEST the modem and give the results...it doesnt test the dialer but tells you if the modem part is working. If the dialer is out, replace the modem.

------------------
I sometimes think like a 286