PDA

View Full Version : Direct Cable Connection problems

tekfreak
03-24-2001, 04:53 PM
So I got a new computer. Windows ME, 60 gig hd, 256 mb RAM, etc. Only problem is, I can't transfer my files from my old PC to my new PC. I'm trying to use a direct cable connection to do so, but it doesn't seem to work. My old comp's O/S is Win95 Plus. I've tried all of the suggestions in Windows Help files as well as some searching on the internet. Nothing seems to be working. It might also be useful to mention that I tried the DCC on my Win98 laptop and it worked perfectly. This makes me think that the O/S on my old comp is the problem. Maybe Win95 doesn't work with ME although I can't see why it shouldn't. Also, the new comp and the old comp's parallel port modes are different (old one is Bi-directional, new one is EPC). However, my laptop's parallel port mode isn't EPC at either and like it said, it worked just fine. Both PCs have the same protocols. Any suggestions on how to fix this would really be appreciated since I've already invested over 5 hrs on this little chore. Thanks in advance.

Reid
03-24-2001, 07:52 PM
I haven't used DCC, but it should work with your systems. This homePCnetwork Direct Cable Connection "how-to" (http://www.homepcnetwork.com/cable.htm) may help.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

hiredgoonz
03-24-2001, 09:28 PM
Try reversing which computer is host...dcc is notoriously difficult to configure, but this might help (if you haven't tried it already)