PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera and Com's

Jim R
04-09-2001, 01:58 AM
Hello, I'm having a strange problem with a RCA Digital Camera using a USB connection to download pictures, worked fine for a time now no, called RCA tech support, and after checking the Modem in control Panel where it gave the information that my modem was on COM3,and the camera was on COM4, I could tell he was happy in informing me that I had a conflick and that I should contact the PC Manu. I told him at that time I was the Manu. He suggested I contact a friend? He was happy he was done.
OK in device mgr. I have no yellow ? all is fine, all of the devices have there drivers installed and NO conflicks are indicated anywhere,so I'm not sure what to change and what not to.
I've always let Windows98SE handel this stuff with no problems until now.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but about a mouth ago I installed a new Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical (PS/2), after installing the drivers I found that my internet connection was messed up and had to correct the settings. I think the camera was working fine before that to.
What's the best way to fix this.
Thank you
Jim

System: Windows98se, Asus P3B-F w/Intel 440BX, Pen III 700MHz, 256MB PC100, US Robotics ISO modem (factory set jumpers),

tjaymadison
04-09-2001, 02:59 AM
Can't imagine how a USB device could get assigned to COM4, a serial port. I'd suggest highlighting that reference in Device Manager and Remove it. This might also involve removing and re-installing any software required for the camera. If that doesn't do it, you may have to uninstall both camera and mouse, and their software, and install the mouse first and then the camera.

Jim R
04-10-2001, 01:35 AM
Hello,Tjaymadison, thanks for your post, Yup I did not understand to, but the RCA Tech said, that its should have a COM assigned to it ( what do I know ),and that I had a conflick, when it showed it was assigned to COM4, and the modem assigned to COM3. He did not go into much detail.

I made one change, I'm not using the two onboard serial ports on my PC, also called COM1/COM2, I disabled both, freeing up IRQ4 and IRQ3 also, after boot now my modem is assigned COM2, and the camera is assigned COM3.
I'm not sure if I'm getting closer or not. This was a two Teck help call the first Teck in seeing that the camera was not assigned a COM told me to uninstall and reinstall the software. The secound call is when I was told I had a conflick. Now I'm not sure if its fixed or not, I have to make fixs to get E-Mail working again.

Thank you.

Randy_tx
04-10-2001, 01:31 PM
Time out!.....The PCI to USB Universal Host Controller uses an IRQ [which I dont think can be changed]; however, the ACTUAL DEVICES DONT use IRQ's - that's the whole PURPOSE of USB....to save IRQ's http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif. Something is amuck here........Usually the USB Host Controller takes a non-standard IRQ like 5-9-11- etc. I would re-activate com 1 and set the bios to Plug & Play and remove the USB Controller and let it reinstall & find a new IRQ home if it was mine.

------------------
I'm putting a new Fat32 partition in my Head Drive...hope it speeds me up.......

Jim R
04-10-2001, 10:54 PM
Thank you Randy_tx, I'm I'm not sure, the camera can be connected to the PC with either a USB or a RS232 connector,because it uses a RS232 connector is why it needs a COM, and not just any COM, but COM1, or COM2, also it calls itself a modem to the PC. I'm losing the direction I was going in.
The BIOS is set to Plug & Play, COM1 is not deactivated, I removed it from being tyed to the Serial Port 1, by disabling the Port. COM1 and COM2 becomes interneral resources,I guess, only after this did the modem move from COM3 to COM2,COM2 not being available until freed from the S.Port.
I don't know, after you install the drivers ya get a My RCA Camera folder on the rout, and a psudo RCA Digital Camera modem, beats me!
The camera modem is looking for either COM1 or COM2, does not work asigned to COM3 nor COM4 where it was before, it looks like it follows the modem now that the modem is assigned to COM2 its assign to COM3, I'm thinking if I can move the modem to COM1 the camera will move to COM2 and then it just may work. I'm most likely to be wrong. in the modems properties, I can't find where I can change the Port. The modem is PNP ISA type with no jumpers on it, how do you change it?
Currently I'm using a Web Cam as well which is pluged into one of the USB ports, its working fine,
I'll remove the USB Controller and see what happens.

Thank you
Jim