PDA

View Full Version : Mouse and keyboard locking up

RicFanRat
04-16-2001, 10:12 AM
I have just inherited a computer that has a strange problem I have yet to solve on my own. I am running Win98SE. The Logitech Wheel mouse and KeyTronic keyboard both lock up approximately every 5 seconds. I have swapped out both the mouse and keyboard and have the same problem regardless. (The mouse and keyboard run fine on another computer). I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both drivers. I have also tried updating the drivers, both through Windows Update and the manufacturer's websites. I have also updated both the video and the network card drivers. I have checked the device manager and there are no conflicts. I am at a loss at what could be causing this and it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Randy_tx
04-16-2001, 11:26 AM
Is this a PS2 mouse & PS2 keyboard?? If so, it is always possible that you have the two devices in the wrong PS2 sockets in the back.....just a guess...try switching the plugs they are placed into, if you havent already(rather than changing types of mice/keyboard). Otherwise, if you can describe what happens and what kind of computer it is, someone will give you steps to track this one down.

------------------
Will XP save Me ?

[This message has been edited by Randy_tx (edited 04-16-2001).]

RicFanRat
04-16-2001, 01:36 PM
Yes, it is a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse. I just tried switching the ports and the computer wouldn't even boot properly, sent me into Safe mode. The computer is a MicroSys (a brand I have never even heard of and one I have been unable to find a website for) with a 700MHz PIII and 128 MB RAM. As far as what happens and when: as soon as I boot up, whether I try to open a desktop file, read my email, type up a word document, enter a url in a browser...any type of movement I do by either clicking the mouse or typing on the keyboard. Whichever device that I am using at that movement lock ups in approx 4-5 second intervals (I've counted it out by just "swirling" my mouse over the desktop and waiting for it to lock up). Every 5 seconds or so the mouse will lock up and if I give it another second or two, it will move again. I have noticed it in every program I use. The keyboard is more obvious because when you're typing along, you can watch it get hung up on the words. Like I said, I have noticed in every application, so I have not been able to narrow it down to a specific instant or event, but it is particularly annoying when I do a lot of database data entry, slows me down alot. Thanks for the help.

RicFanRat
04-16-2001, 02:41 PM
I forgot to mention that I have also tried adjusting the settings in the control panel for both the mouse and the keyboard. No improvement.

Randy_tx
04-16-2001, 02:54 PM
Well......shoot!.....Try this: Go to Control Panel/System/Performance tab/Graphics and slow the Hardware Accelleration down a notch at a time till it quits. You may have a Video Card problem causing this and this is a temporary fix to get you somewhat stable....let us know.

------------------
Will XP save Me ?

RicFanRat
04-17-2001, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it notch by notch, but even with it set down to no hardware acceleration, it was still locking up.

Randy_tx
04-17-2001, 09:06 AM
If you havent already.....go into "Safe Mode" @ bootup...by hitting F8 and run Scan Disk and then Defrag the HD........additionally, you want to go to Accessories/System Tools/System INformation/System File Checker (assuming you have a copy of Win98 and check the Windows files for any that are corrupted....this seems like a software issue at this point, so these are ways to possibly cure software issues; however, you could have bad RAM causing it or even mobo problems. Post back what happens after File checker is run.

------------------
Will XP save Me ?

Paleo Pete
04-17-2001, 09:37 AM
Run the Task Scheduler and see if you have something like defrag still trying to run after an aborted attempt. This sounds wxactly like the problem I had with mine, defrag was set to run at 3AM after going to bed, and the virus scanner caused it to comtinuously restart. Even after rebooting a dozen times it was still trying to run in the background, and causing the mouse to act exactly the way you describe, as well as blinking every few seconds.

I almost reinstalled windows, but finally got defrag to run and finish, and that stopped it. Took me about a week to find out what was happening though, and just about drove me crazy...which is a short trip http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)