PDA

View Full Version : My PC will not connect to New external 56k modem will

Suraj
04-05-2001, 05:09 AM
Hi,

Can anyone help me. I have recently bought a 2nd hand PC (Cyrix II 300mhz), and have bought an external 56k modem to allow internet access. I have followed the set up instructions and Windows 98 does detect the nodem and then appears install the modem drivers. But as I run the AOL isp CD to get register and get online, the modem isn't detected. It does detect a TC/TP connection, but no modem. Am I doing soething wrong here? Please help as I have no idea what I should do!

regards,

Suraj
England
UK

Randy_tx
04-05-2001, 09:55 AM
First determine if the modem is operational. Go to My Computer/Control Panel/Modems.......and see if your external modem shows up there. If it does, click on the com port which indicates the modem is connected to highlight it and then click the "Diagnostics" tab to test the modem. Post back with results and someone can take you from there. If the modem DOESNT show up there......It isn't correctly installed.

------------------
Always wondered where Silicone Valley was...saw a pic of Pamela Anderson...now I know

Suraj
04-05-2001, 09:58 AM
Thanks for your help. I am now connected and online with AOL. DOes anybody know how I can uninstall AOL properly and safely once my free minutes are up? I would like to then start using Freeserve as my ISP.

Randy_tx
04-05-2001, 12:18 PM
Go into Control Panel/Add Remove Programs icon and look up AOL in there ...then hit the remove button and it will be removed http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif(if there are any "shared" files- just choose to leave them in the system)....Another way is to go to Program/scroll down to AOL and there "should" be an uninstall icon there as well.

------------------
Always wondered where Silicone Valley was...saw a pic of Pamela Anderson...now I know

sea69
04-05-2001, 09:14 PM
yes, and you might also need to get rid of any aol-adapters, and in dial up networking.

------------------
*another 'toaster' bites the dust*

nimnorf2
04-17-2001, 09:54 PM
Don't forget to call AOL and cancel too!. They'll bill your credit card until you ask off. That free month is only a free month then they'll bill you ...till..? It doesn't matter if you've taken their software off your hard drive.