PDA

View Full Version : Modem thinks it is already connected

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-17-2001, 12:44 AM
I have a Cirrus Logic 56k modem on my k6 500 mhz running Win98SE. About three days ago I noticed when I tried to dial up my ISP the dialer skipped the dialup part and immediately flashed the message "verifying username and password."

I checked the phone line--it's fine. I uninstalled the modem and reinstalled it. I checked for IRQ conflicts--none. I figured the modem was bad so I put a Lucent Technologies Win modem in the machine and it did the same thing. I ran hyperterminal and I get an OK when I type in AT on com4. I tried dialing with hyperterminal and it immediately showed it was connected, even though it wasn't.

I know the line's good-I'm using it with a laptop right now.

I can't think of anything I did to change the setup...any ideas?

sea69
04-17-2001, 01:17 AM
uninstall the Winmodem.

put your hardware modem back in.

uninstall/ reinstall DUN (dial up networking).

post back results.

------------------
*another 'toaster' bites the dust*

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-18-2001, 05:19 PM
Well, no luck. I uninstalled all of the communications programs, rebooted, reinstalled, then rebooted again. Still skips the dial sequence and shows it is verifying password and username.

Is there some network setting that could be confusing it? i.e., could the computer think it is connected to an "always-on" connection?

mjc
04-18-2001, 08:27 PM
Is it actually connected or just thinks it is?

If it is already connected run a virus scan and then AdAware (http://www.lavasoft.de/). You may have picked up a virus or "spyware" that silently dials out.

If you are using IE go to the tools -> Internet options -> Connections and see if it is set to always dial...

Also check to see if the number it is supposed to dial is correct.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

468th Rule of Aquistion: Debugging of software is foolish, there is much profit in updates and upgrades.

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-18-2001, 10:50 PM
It actually skips the dialing part of the routine. I have listened in on a phone and it never engages the line. Just a dial tone. The line works fine with this laptop and a 32k modem.

This is liable to be what drives me to fork out the $10 extra a month to get DSL!

mjc
04-19-2001, 12:33 AM
I think it may be time for a little more system info.

What operating system, CPU, configuration, and software (especially what's running in the background)

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

468th Rule of Aquistion: Debugging of software is foolish, there is much profit in updates and upgrades.

sea69
04-19-2001, 12:57 AM
for only $10.00 a month more dsl would be THE way to go! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/wink.gif

you would be SO MUCH happier.

------------------
*another 'toaster' bites the dust*

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-19-2001, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mjc:
I think it may be time for a little more system info.

What operating system, CPU, configuration, and software (especially what's running in the background)

OS=Win98SE
CPU-AMK K6-2, 500 mhz
ATI Rage Fury 128 video card
Soundblaster 16/32 AWE card
Cirrus Logic 56k modem
ADS Pyro firewire card
SCSI adaptor (can't remember name--I'm at work)

Soundcard, video card and modem have resident programs...I'd have to be at home to get all the resident programs, but I don't think there's anything unusual.

mjc
04-19-2001, 10:36 AM
If the resident program for the modem is fax software check to see if the dialer settings for it have changed or are now the default settings. Also try and temporarily disable it at startup.

Check the telephony applet in control panel to see if any of the dialer settings tere are changed or wrong (pay close atention to whether pulse or tone tone dialing are properly set).

------------------
mjc

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-28-2001, 01:01 AM
I'm replying to move this topic back to the top of the queue--I've tried everything I can think of to correct this. I've checked the modem with hyperterminal and it is ok. The only program that I installed around the time I started having this problem is Pro Tools Free, an audio editing/recording program which didn't work well my K-6 processor, so I uninstalled it.

Today I tried moving the modem to another slot and reinstalling it--same results. I tried removing dial up networking and reinstalling it. Still acts like it is connected to a LAN. I've checked every setting I could find and nothing is set to network. In fact, I removed the network card and related software.

Any ideas, even crazy ones, would be appreciated--thanks!!

bassman
04-28-2001, 10:56 AM
OK you said crazy, so here goes http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Have you tried letting it go ahead with verifying name and password? does it continue to do anything after you see this message?
Sounds like this Pro Tools thing is your problem. Where did you get it, no wait I don't want to know http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/tongue.gif It may have left behind whatever is causing the problems when you uninstalled. If you have it on disk, you might go exploring and write down everything (file name with extensions) and see if you can find any of them on your hard drive.
Some of the others may have better ideas on this so keep a lookout for a bit.

good luck

------------------
They say to eat before you go to the grocery store so you don't buy so much. That doesn't work at the liquor store does it!

mjc
04-28-2001, 12:42 PM
"W10: How can I avoid 9093 errors with my Pro Tools FREE software?

On some Windows systems, the network device/driver can cause -9093 errors while using Pro Tools FREE with small H/W buffer sizes. One work-around is obviously to raise the H/W buffer size, but this results in larger (and undesirable) input-to-output latencies in Pro Tools.

There are two other easy work-arounds that allow smaller H/W buffers to work on most systems (both involve temporarily disabling the network device)..."

The above is from the ProTools FAQ, so yes it does somehow interact with the networking drivers, so maybe removing all the networking functions and reinstalling them might be helpful here is a MS link on how to troubleshoot network problems:http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/w98lan.asp and one for modems http://support.microsoft.com/support/tshoot/w98modem.asp. If you go through them they will show the steps to remove and reinstall the network components.

------------------
mjc

sea69
04-28-2001, 01:06 PM
sounds like this program you installed/uninstalled has left its mark in your registry.

If you can find the lines that deal with this, put "rem" and a space (without quotes) BEFORE/ at the Beggining of any lines that refer to this application.

This way they will not actually be deleted, (as that could cause even more problems)... it will just no longer try to 'start' anything to do with the 'trouble'/problem app.

Hope this helps, and MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF ANY REGISTRY SETTING PRIOR TO CHANGING THINGS.

just in case. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

also- I highly reccomend "Test Run by BB". With this app, you can TRY any software out first. and then decide if you like it or not, and your registry will not be affected. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

you can get it FREE HERE (http://www.tweakfiles.com/backuprecover/testrun.html).

I use it almost Daily.

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-28-2001).]

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-28-2001, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the responses...as for the questions in the last three posts, yes I did try letting it run for a while, it just timed out and said it couldn't complete a connection.

Pro Tools Free is downloaded from DigiDesign (the manufacturer) website...I'm pretty careful about what I'll introduce into my system. I ran Norton and found no viruses.

I'll try the microsoft troubleshooting guides. I ran the ones included in the online help and got nowhere. Got to get this fixed...surfing on this laptop is slow and aggravating!

Thanks again,
Kerry Townson

sea69
04-28-2001, 10:00 PM
well, micro-shaft will dance you around for a while, and then you can try what I indicated... as I'm pretty sure that this will fix it.

this Pro Tools thing is still in the registry giving instructions to your modem.

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-28-2001).]

Reid
04-28-2001, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ktownson@hotmail.com:
I ran hyperterminal and I get an OK when I type in AT on com4

Have you tried ATZ to see if a modem reset makes a difference?

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-29-2001, 12:29 AM
Sea69--gotta admit I avoid the registry like the plague--just a bunch of voodoo to me.

Could you give me a little more information about how to get to these lines you indicate? I looked in regedit and there is a key for digidesign but beyond that I don't know what I'm doing.

Reid--(my hero from the serial port problem I had a few months ago) would I do this reset in hyperterminal?

Thanks for the help...kt

Reid
04-29-2001, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by ktownson@hotmail.com:
would I do this reset in hyperterminal?

Yes. I was just curious if it might help in case the modem is not being initialized properly.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-29-2001, 12:39 AM
That was a "duh" moment once I went back and read what you had quoted--of course it would be in hyperterminal...I've got to go offline to switch back to my main computer but I'll try to post results in a few moments.

Thanks, kt

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-29-2001, 12:50 AM
no luck with the reset.

Let me ask about an avenue I've been going down. When I installed the modem and software it installed to com 4. I can communicate via hyperterminal to the modem on com4 with no problem, but should com 4 show up in the device manager? Under ports it shows com 1 and lpt 1 but nothing else. I have com 2 disabled.

Also, if I go into control panel and select modems, select the Cirrus Logic modem and click on properties, I get an error message that says the modem information is corrupt and to reinstall the modem. Oddly, if I call up the same modem in device manager and click on properties it works fine and gives me info. Also, it will go through the diagnostics ok too.

I have reinstalled the modem at least three times, even trying different PCI slots. Each time it shows as working properly and will pass the diagnostics test.

Reid
04-29-2001, 01:06 AM
Well, I think it sounds like the modem and hardware interface are OK since the modem diagnostics run and another modem had the same symptoms. It may be at the point where a Windows reload may be necessary, but I do not like to recommend that if there may be other options. I have installed Win98SE "over itself" to correct problems, and it retained all programs.

From what I found, the Pro Tools is for creating sounds, so it does not seem like that should have affected dialup operation, but I suppose anything can happen with Windows.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-29-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Tools is a hard disk audio/MIDI recording program. The commercial version is one of the top tools in audio recording. I agree that it seems unlikely, that was why I didn't mention it at first.

I also think the modem is ok. I can try the dial up without the phone line connected and get the same results.

It is my uneducated guess that the computer is somehow set to look for a network connection...I just don't know enough about it to figure outwhere to look. The Pro Tools thing may just be coincidence but it was the last program I installed.

I hate to reinstall Windows if I ccan help it. But, if that's last resort...

sea69
04-29-2001, 01:38 AM
ok, forget the registry for right now.

I notice you say that Com 2 is disabled. ENable it, cause thats where WinModems are supposed to go. (didn't you determine that it was a winmodem?)

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-29-2001).]

mjc
04-29-2001, 01:49 AM
Boot into safe mode (since you are running 98 and probably will be going back and forth to safe mode run msconfig and go to the advanced tab and select "enable startup menu"). Once into safe mode go to D(evice) M(anager) and see how many modems show up. Delete all but one.

Also you can run scanreg (from the run box) and make a backup of the registry before you do anything to it.

I was looking around DigiDesigns site and there were references to it doing things to network connections.......
------------------
mjc

[This message has been edited by mjc (edited 04-29-2001).]

ktownson@hotmail.com
04-29-2001, 01:55 AM
Sea69--no, I put the hardware modem (Cirrus Logic 56k) back in. I looked at the IRQs and it was sharing 11 with my network adaptor. I reinstalled the card in a different slot and it ended up in #7 I believe. Windows didn't report any conflicts either way.

I do have a win modem and I tried it thinking I had a hardware problem. It ended up showing the same problem as the hardware card. That's why I really don't think the modem is the problem here.

sea69
04-29-2001, 09:30 AM
Rem / ; / ::
Records comments (remarks) in batch files and Config.sys. These are ignored during the execution of the program.
Syntax:
REM [comment]

In Config.sys only:
; [comment]

In batch files (including Autoexec.bat) only:
:: [comment]

Notes:
In Config.sys a semicolon ( ;) has the same effect as REM. Batch files do not recognise the semicolon and will generally cause an error message about a bad command.

In batch files a double colon (: :) has the same effect as REM.
Actually, the double colon creates a label (see GOTO) which has a colon as the first character. Although Command.com recognises this as a label, GOTO doesn't, and so there is no chance of confusing a label and remark.

REM has a major limitation (see below) and, because of this, it is preferable to use the alternatives of a semicolon ( ;) in Config.sys and double colon (: :) in batch files).
Limitations
When parsing a batch file, Command.com does not simply skip any lines beginning with "REM". Instead, it seems to parse the line for recognised commands/files/whatever and then take no action if the line begins with REM. This is not particularly efficient and a large number of REM statements in a batch file can noticeably slow down its execution.
A much more serious problem with REM occurs if the line contains a pipe (|) or redirection (<, >, >> ) symbol: everything up to the symbol is ignored BUT the symbol itself and everything following is interpreted as a command line entry - but without the safeguard of syntax checking. This can lead to all sorts of problems - especially when REM is used to temporarily inactivate lines in a batch file. A simple illustration of this can be given by the following:

In a batch file the line:
Echo. | date
pipes an <Enter> to DATE, causing it to display the date and return to the command prompt.
One would expect that preceeding this command with REM whould cause the command to simply be ignored - but only the "Echo." part is. Command.com tries to process the "| date" part and the system hangs waiting for input from a non-existant preceeding command. The only remedy is to close the Dos window or reboot.

Note that having the line:
|date
causes Command.com to simply respond with the message "Syntax error" and return to the prompt.

The way to avoid such problems is to use the double colon (: :) rather than REM.

Incidentally, entering either REM echo. | date or :: echo. | date directly on the command line (rather than in a batch file) not only causes Command.com to hang, but the only way to close the Window is with Ctrl-Alt-Del. Not that it makes much sense to enter such a command in the first place.

Tricks
The REM command is widely used to temporarily disable commands in Config.sys and batch files (but better to use :: or ; - see "Limitations" above).

Bottom line is, if you are at the point of re-installing windows, it dosen't matter too much if you make a mistake, you are at the end of options anyway, UNLESS- someone else can come up with something here we haven't tried.

I STRONGLYrecomend the above post of mine that INCLUDED the instructions for "Test Run by BB".. this is a PRIME example of a situation where it is invaluable!!

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-29-2001).]

Paleo Pete
04-30-2001, 01:56 AM
At Start Up use the [F8] key or hold down [Ctrl] to get a boot menu and choose "Command Prompt Only. run scanreg and restore the registry.
scanreg_/restore is the command line, using a space in place of the underscore ( _ ) used here. Replace the registry with a copy made before this problem started, if one is available. That should take care of the problems involving the other software, assuming you use a registry backup made before the software was installed.

Boot into Safe Mode and remove all modems shown in Device Manager. If the second COM port shows, remove it too, if it's not being shown in normal mode.

Reboot and install the modem, being a hardware modem COM2 should be disabled in BIOS.

Check Device manager in normal, not safe Mode, and see if the other COM port is shown. If not, go to Add New Hardware and add one.

Check the Network icon in Control Panel and see what the Primary Logon is set to, usually it should work with Windows Logon or Microsoft Family Logon.

Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, Connections Tab. Highlight the Internet connection you're using and click Settings, check to see if Use Proxy Server is checked. If so, it might be trying to connect through the network card, uncheck that and see if it uses the modem instead.

Open My Computer, then Dial Up Networking, right click the Intrernet connection icon and click Properties. Then the Server Types tab. PPP:Internet, Windows NT Server, Windows 98 should be in the drop down box, enable Software Compression and TCP/IP should be the only boxes checked.

That should take care of most of the software, hardware, ghost drivers and configuration possibilities I can think of...

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)