PDA

View Full Version : Windows won't detect Mouse

Route66_2K
05-17-2001, 06:18 PM
Piecing together a computer for my stepkids - only problem Windows won't detect the mouse. Attempting to use a serial mouse - which is what I last used on this computer a couple yrs ago(been in the closet). I've also tried using a PS/2 mouse with a serial adapter (though I realize they're two different monsters). I have a couple PS/2 connectors though am confused by the connector (where connects to the mb). The connectors I have are single row 5 pin connectors with 3 wires then a blank space and then a fourth wire [... .] On the mb though theres a double row of 4 pins (3 pins on first row, 4 pins on 2nd row [:.::]- #1 pin being the single pin in first row.

After loading Win98SE I got the message "A Mouse was not detected," I then loaded a mouse driver from an old disk - no disk came with this mouse - after loading this driver I no longer get the "mouse was not detected" pop up on boot but the mouse still doesn't work.

I've found no conflicts in Device Manager. The Mouse does not show up in Device Manager either prior to or after loading the mouse driver I tried.

I will provide as much information as I've obtained thus far:

Bios ID # 51-0831-001437-00101111-071595-M571-007_66_M571-H (exactly as seen)
Cyrix P II M 300 Mhz processor
64 mb RAM
Onboard video and sound
SupraExpress 336i PnP Voice Modem
Windows 98se

I've looked for Com Ports in Device Manager - prior to installing Mouse driver there was Com 5 and 6 with LPT 1 & 2, after installing driver there was Com 2 and 3 with LPT 1 & 2. The Modem is on Com4 (I'm completely ignorant to Com Ports but something in all of that doesn't look right to me)

I've tried changing I/O's for Serial Port 1 and 2 (choices are 3F8H, 3E8H, 2F8H, 2E8H - and Serial Port mode is set at "Normal."

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may provide.

[This message has been edited by Route66_2K (edited 05-17-2001).]

Paleo Pete
05-17-2001, 11:28 PM
Check the manuals Here (http://perso.libertysurf.co.uk/m571/) and see if one of them is your board. Check closely to see if that might be a PS/2 connector you're describing.

I would say boot into Safe Mode and check Device Manager, see how many ghost drivers are floating around. If anything in COM/LPT ports is duplicated, remove all of them and reboot, let Windows find and sort them out.

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Route66_2K
05-18-2001, 12:41 AM
I'll try going into Safe Mode. That board shown in the link you gave under "Jumper Settings" is identical to mine. Not sure which version (3.2, 3.2A or 7.0A) I'll check my manual. I was describing the PS/2 connector - as you can see on the board it's a 7 pin (double row) and the PS/2 connectors I have are 5 pin (single row [only 4 pins are used]). I haven't seen a 7 pin connector. I do have a serial port plugged into Com1 - though Com1 doesn't show in Device Manager. Will try removing them all in Safe Mode and see what happens. Thx Pete

Route66_2K
05-18-2001, 12:57 AM
Booted to Safe Mode and removed Com LPT ports (were no duplicates) rebooted and it came back same as before Com 2 and Com 3 - LPT 1 and LPT 2. Perhaps my Com 1 port is bad on the mb? Still no mouse - though not getting the "Windows did not detect a mouse" pop up - Mouse still not visible in Device Manager

Paleo Pete
05-18-2001, 01:06 AM
OK, now that I know what the pins are, you might check with a computer shop, describe what you're looking for, maybe sketch the pin pattern, and get a ribbon cable to fit the mouse plug. My PS/2 port has 6 pins,

. .

in that configuration. I don't have anything on the pinouts, maybe someone at a shop will have an idea what kind of cable will work. It should be under a foot long, " wide or so. It also might be a standard one-size-fits-all...You'll also need to have PS/2 Mouse Support enabled in BIOS. PS/2 should usually be on IRQ 12; both COM ports can be enabled or disabled in BIOS and should not affect the mouse at all either way.

You'll have to look around in your BIOS to find the setting, it depends on your BIOS. Check my site posted below, should be some good BIOS links there and on the PC Guide too. If you're not positive what you're doing after looking around in BIOS, exit and do not save changes...The BIOS will remain exactly as it was before you started.

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

[This message has been edited by Paleo Pete (edited 05-18-2001).]

Route66_2K
05-18-2001, 09:55 AM
I'm new to this area and haven't found a good puter parts store, but I guess I'll have to look harder and try and find the appropriate PS/2 adapter for this board. Was hoping to determine why Com 1 and the Serial Mouse wasn't working - always had serial when I used this puter before. Thanks again for your advice Pete.

mjc
05-18-2001, 10:52 AM
Have you looked in BIOS setup to see it COM1 is enabled there?

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

Vive diu prosperaque!

Route66_2K
05-18-2001, 11:05 AM
Under Power Management in Bios IRQ 3 (Com2/Com4) and IRQ 4 (Com1/Com3) are both set to "Monitor" which is the only option Bios is giving me. I find no other regard to Com Ports in the bios. There is Serial Port 1 & 2 in Peripheral Setup - I've tried various combinations of the available I/O's and the Serial Port Mode is set to Normal.

I've called the local puter parts possibilities and no one has the connector I need - they tell me its m/b specific and should have came with the m/b - which I purchased the m/b second hand and didnt get the ps/2 adapter for this board.

I also tried switching the mouse (serial) to Com2 on the m/b - no luck still no mouse detected by windows.

[This message has been edited by Route66_2K (edited 05-18-2001).]

mjc
05-18-2001, 01:31 PM
In BIOS set serial one to IRQ4, 3F8h and serial two to IRQ3, 2F8h.

What are your choices under the "mode" setting?

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

Vive diu prosperaque!

Bill Russell
06-03-2001, 03:14 PM
I don't know what kind of MB you have but from your description it sounds
like an AT with the ususal remotely mounted serial and parallel ports. If
this is not the case ignore this message but if so, you may have the rib-
bon cables backward on the mainboard or they may be the wrong ones. (you
did say something about "piecing" this together? otherwise I wouldn't be
mentioning these issues) Be aware if you have these remote serial ports
all serial cables may look the same, but they are not! Windows should
never have trouble detecting a serial mouse provided the mouse and cable/
port are in working order. Some of these remote cables are wired dif-