PDA

View Full Version : cant get c or d drive prompt

tintman
10-05-2000, 06:47 PM
i just formated my hard disk,now i find that floppy does'nt work how can i install windows back in it,cant get to c or d drive,its a compaq lite 5400.got direct cable for pc to pc file transfer can i use that to reinstall all,and if so,how.

thanks

Charles Kozierok
10-05-2000, 11:15 PM
The cable likely isn't enough, you will need to get one of the other drives working.
What exactly is wrong with the floppy?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

tintman
10-09-2000, 05:22 AM
I took out the floppy and opened it i saw it had a ceramic thing in it wrapped by the data bus were it connects to the laptop.The ceramic thing is cracked, so i put it together and tied it with string.drive a cant read floppies.Drive c formated no c prompt

Originally posted by ixl:
The cable likely isn't enough, you will need to get one of the other drives working.
What exactly is wrong with the floppy?

Charles Kozierok
10-11-2000, 09:12 AM
I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean by a "ceramic thing". It sounds to me like you will need to take this puppy in for service... sorry.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

tintman
10-11-2000, 04:40 PM
the floppy drive does'nt read a floppy

tintman
10-11-2000, 04:41 PM
thank you very much for trying to help me

MeadowsG
03-09-2001, 01:33 AM
It sounds to me like you did not format leaving system files ( format c: /u /s) You will need a boot disk that has command.com on it and you will have to go into setup and change your boot drive to a:

I have a good generic win 98 boot disk that I can post online for you if you need it.

Good Luck
G

------------------
Pass the coffee and no one gets hurt

MeadowsG
03-09-2001, 01:35 AM
It sounds to me like you did not format leaving system files ( format c: /u /s) You will need a boot disk that has command.com on it and you will have to go into setup and change your boot drive to a:

I have a good generic win 98 boot disk that I can post online for you if you need it.

Good Luck
G

------------------

MeadowsG
03-09-2001, 01:41 AM
BY THE WAY

the cracked ceramic thing is probably just a pherite (sp) block. They usually are in two pieces and they just wrap around a wire to block magnetic fields (I think) most of the time they are incased in plastic, look at your printer and monitor cables.....samething...

G

------------------