PDA

View Full Version : No display/sound on Toshiba Laptop

barryc
06-11-2001, 07:08 AM
I HAVE RECENTLY LOST THE DISPLAY ON MY TOSHIBA TECRA 730XCDT, THE MACHINE WILL OPERATE AN EXTERNAL MONITOR ONLY, DESPITE TOGGLING (CN/F5). I HAVE VISITED THE TOSHIBA PAGES HOWEVER STILL NO JOY.

I HAVE ALSO LOST SOUND.. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

------------------
Barry C

bassvax
06-11-2001, 06:30 PM
Being clueless about notebooks...Is the thing under warranty still? I had a pal with a Dell and had to have the screen replaced...tech rep was here the next day with a new screen...apparently a common problem for a while there with a certain 'lot' of notebooks. As the system works on an external monitor I would have to guess that the screen is fried or at the very least the internal connection from the mobo to the screen. UNLESS..there is some magical way to turn off the monitor via software and this has happened without your knowledge.

Edit: I missed the 'lost sound' bit...now I am really stumped and makes my first paragraph useless...sorry http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Tango down!

[This message has been edited by bassvax (edited 06-11-2001).]

barryc
06-12-2001, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by bassvax:
Being clueless about notebooks...Is the thing under warranty still? I had a pal with a Dell and had to have the screen replaced...tech rep was here the next day with a new screen...apparently a common problem for a while there with a certain 'lot' of notebooks. As the system works on an external monitor I would have to guess that the screen is fried or at the very least the internal connection from the mobo to the screen. UNLESS..there is some magical way to turn off the monitor via software and this has happened without your knowledge.

Edit: I missed the 'lost sound' bit...now I am really stumped and makes my first paragraph useless...sorry http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/frown.gif

The machine is 4 years old and out of warranty... yes there is a chance that the kids have accidently changed some settings.
I discovered some error messages when switching on last night concerning missing files CARDWORKS\SSTPIC95.EXE etc could this be the cause.

------------------
Barry C

danleff
06-12-2001, 06:09 AM
Hi, I found this info in the Toshiba 330/335 users guide;

"If you are using the built-in screen, make sure the display priority is not set for an external monitor. To do this, press Fn and F5 simultaneously (once). If this does not correct the problem, press Fn and F5 simultaneously again to return the display priority to its previous setting."

Do you have the Toshiba cd w/ users guide for this model? If you do, check it out. Also, if your model has tsetup, go into it and check to maks sure that audio is enabled. Your kids may have hit just the right combination keys to turn off these features.. hey it could have happened!

danleff
06-12-2001, 06:17 AM
Just read you recent message, are your PCMICA cards(modem)working? Cardworks, I think, has to do with PCMICA card services. You may have to reinstall the card services.

Do you have the restore CD/disk that came with the machine?

barryc
06-12-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by danleff:
Just read you recent message, are your PCMICA cards(modem)working? Cardworks, I think, has to do with PCMICA card services. You may have to reinstall the card services.

Do you have the restore CD/disk that came with the machine?

I tried the Fn and F5 fix still no joy.
Can you expalin how I access and amend tsetup.
Unfortunatley I don't have the restore cd.

Thanks for the responses please keep the coming

------------------
Barry C

danleff
06-12-2001, 10:14 PM
Go to the following link at Toshiba and download the manual for your model;
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/supp_tech_model_index.jsp

Pick "filter by category" and choose "users manual."

Here you can download the users manual and software for your machine. Use the index to search for tsetup and follow the instructions.

If this does not work, go to the Toshiba web site,
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pd/pd_home.jsp

pick "services and support", then tech support center.

pick your model and then users guide. It will tell you that there is no online manual, but click the "file download" then filter by category, choose users manual, click refresh view and download the electronic manual.

Install it, open it then search for "tsetup."

detailed instructions should be there. MUST BE RUN IN DOS, NOT A DOS WINDOW w/i WINDOWS.

Good luck again!

danleff
06-12-2001, 10:33 PM
I just checked on your actual model, there is no users manual, but you can try picking the Tecra 730CDT, download it and see if it works.

Also, under your ACTUAL model, you can download the Cardworks patch and sound files that may also help with your issues.

Sorry for the misinformation!

barryc
06-26-2001, 11:25 AM
STILL NO JOY ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS THAT MAY HELP????

------------------
Barry C

skhips
06-26-2001, 02:26 PM
DESPERATION

We have had four well used laptops at work have the following problem.

No display on screen - only to external monitor.

Fault was a broked wire travelling from the screen to the Main body (in the hinge.

One was a physical break and coul be seen and was resoldered with a rubber sleeve over it.

there was no visual break on the other 3, there were three multi strand cables with plugs (bit like mini IDE connectors), we were able to tap out connectivity with an avo and find the break, you could then repair or maybe even replace.

Please only attempt if you have no warranty and are trying to avoid paying for it to be repaired (however these were sent to contrators who said they were beyond econmicla repair - 30mins work later waheeeey).

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif