PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Where is the video on my laptop???

Cbennett
12-11-2001, 12:47 AM
Hello:

I have an AMS 266 Mhz 64 Ram 3.2 gig laptop. It will always boot to the configuration screen ok. However, once it starts to load Windows 98 the video disappears and won't come back. I know that Windows is still loading because I can hear the hard drive and I see the hard drive light flashing.

The only way I can access Windows is to let the battery drain to the point that the low battery alarm is beeping. Then, for some reason, the screen just appears with Windows 98 there! Windows 98 is then fully functional with no problems whatsover.

I thought this might be a drivers issue so I tried to reformat the hard drive but it wouldn't let me- "write drive protected - format terminated." How do I solve that problem?

I would like to get some input on this problem and possible solutions. I sincerely appreciate all help as I need to get this up and running again for work. Thank you!

CBennett

mjc
12-11-2001, 01:45 AM
Does this machine have a CD and floppy drives, or is it a swapbay?

Also have you run a virus scan on this machine?

Usually when the hard drive is write protected that is a sign of a virus infection. So you will probably need to run fdisk froma floppy to remove the current partitions and then run fdisk to create a new one, then format and reinstall...it would be easier if you had both the CD and floppy to use at the same time...

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

Cbennett
12-12-2001, 12:06 AM
Thanks for your help!

I have both the CD ROM and floppy drive "built in" so that obviously helps. I will try your FDisk suggestion.

Thanks again!

CBM