PDA

View Full Version : Thinkpad 770

rocsell
03-29-2002, 09:07 PM
My brother formatted his 770 thinkpad...now, I want to put XP on there, but if you try booting with either the floopy, cd/dvdrom it gives you an error message: 'non system disk or disk error...replace and press any key when ready'.
Does anyone know what I should do next in order for the 770 to recognize the cd rom so that I can run XP???

Thanks,

mjc
03-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Can you enter the BIOS?

Make sure the boot order is set to CD-ROM first, it looks like it is still looking to the hard drive first.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

rocsell
03-29-2002, 10:20 PM
It is set to cdrom...gives me the same error message...do I need the drivers for the cdrom???

mjc
03-29-2002, 11:10 PM
Try using a bootdisk and see if the CD is recognised...Win98 one should do.

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.dreamwater.org/tech/mjc/index.htm)

Celts are the men that heaven made mad, For all their battles are merry and their songs are all sad.

Reid
03-30-2002, 04:25 AM
While working on the boot problem, you may need to consider another operating system. Some ThinkPad 770's have just a 233 MHz CPU and 32M RAM. XP needs at least 64M (and that will not run very well) and this Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/sysreqs.asp) link also recommends a 300 MHz or faster CPU. I think a practical system for running XP should have at least 600 MHz/256M RAM.

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 03-30-2002).]

Ichabod
04-02-2002, 09:19 AM
Are you trying to format the laptop and reinstall windows and you have a choice of a floppy drive or cdrom, but not both at the same time? It's tricky. I did it recently and it wasn't easy. I decided to convert it into a DOS machine long enough to install Windows. Here's the way I finally did it:

l. On my desktop pc made what I call a "Format disk" containing fdisk.exe, format.com, and command.com. Used this to boot the laptop, run "fdisk", then "format c:/s". (I found that not every version of format will support the /s switch). I was then able to boot the laptop from its own hd and it would recognize both the a: and c: drives.

2. I located on my desktop pc and added to my "Format disk" the following files:

HIMEM.SYS
MSCDEX.EXE
OAKCDROM.SYS (your cdrom drive may need a different driver)
VIDE-CDD.SYS
EDIT.COM (because I wound up making changes to the following to get them to work)

Then use Notepad to create an AUTOEXEC.BAT file containing the following line:

MSCDEX/D:MSCD001 (those are zeroes)

and a "CONFIG.SYS" file with the following lines:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:OAKCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD001

(For me this second line worked with no spaces. Most sources I have seen show a space after sys) (your cdrom may need a different driver) Make sure that the D:MSCD001 appear exactly the same in autoexec.bat and config.sys, and those are zeroes.

3. Copy these files from the floppy to the c: directory of the laptop. Power down, remove the floppy drive, install the cdrom drive. On power up the cdrom drive will be recognized as drive d if you do all the above correctly. Then just insert your windows cd in drive d, and change to the d: prompt, then type "setup". That's all there is to it. Just be aware that your cdrom drive may need a different DOS driver. Your laptop would have been the best source of the correct driver. Go to google and search for "MSCD001" for more info.

And follow Reid's advice, be sure you've got enough puter to run the os you want to put on it.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Norman aka Ichabod