PDA

View Full Version : not enough free memory to run program?

mudguts
09-05-2000, 09:03 PM
my computer works fine for the first half hour or so, i can have lots of stuff running and there are no problems. but after awhile, i start getting the message "not enough free memory to run program". and even after i close everything, i can't start any programs, i have to restart my computer. i've tried reinstalling windows and running an error check, but no luck. my computer is an emachines etower 500is, 32 MG ram, 4.3 GIG hard drive. i'm using windows 98. even when i have my resource meter running, it says i have around 45% of my memory free, but i can't do anything. it seems like iexplorer performs a lot of "illegal actions" when this starts happening. i keep closing and restarting, but no luck. any help would REALLY be appreciated, thanks

------------------

--------Mudguts

ReddDogg
09-05-2000, 09:52 PM
It sounds like you have a memory leak. Possibly a bad ram chip. The fact that it is an emachine means it is almost twice as likely to have a hardware failure, that is proven fact. I am in process of doing research paper based on what computer pc is teh best, and Dell Computers is my opinion the best. Anyone with input on that subject please email me about it. At anyrate, it sounds like a hardware problem, probably ram, or else it is a bad program running in the background, or else is a virus. But my first thing to do is to replace ram, but of course I have extra laying around my house http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/redface.gif)

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

mudguts
09-05-2000, 10:22 PM
thanks for the quick reply! is there a way i can test my RAM to see if it is the problem? or do i just have to replace it? i guess RAM is pretty cheap anyway...

------------------

--------Mudguts

ReddDogg
09-05-2000, 10:53 PM
Well, you can find someone with same type of ram and borrow theirs, or put yours in theirs. It is inexpensive to buy 32 more megs of ram, probably cheaper than hiring a technician to even give you an opinion, and if I am wrong on that you still have the ram http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

Another thing, do you have a virus checker that is updated, such as norton 2000 or mcafee, etc...?

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

dale
09-05-2000, 11:08 PM
Sounds like you have a rouge program eating up memory and resources. Maybe it is IE. Have you kept your IE updated to the latest patches? Do you have any other programs you use alot that might have memory leaks? When it happens again, exit all the running programs and then press Ctl-Alt-Del and look at the list of running programs still left and see if you have any that you don't recognize. Its possible that one of these "background" programs might be eating up resources. Post the list of program here and we might be able to help you.

dale

dale
09-05-2000, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by ReddDogg:
It sounds like you have a memory leak. Possibly a bad ram chip. The fact that it is an emachine means it is almost twice as likely to have a hardware failure, that is proven fact.

I would like to see the "proven facts" on this. I have had an emachine that has been flawless for about 18 months. I know a couple others with the same and no problems.

I am in process of doing research paper based on what computer pc is teh best, and Dell Computers is my opinion the best. Anyone with input on that subject please email me about it. At anyrate, it sounds like a hardware problem, probably ram, or else it is a bad program running in the background, or else is a virus. But my first thing to do is to replace ram, but of course I have extra laying around my house http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/redface.gif)

Having monitored a few of these help bullentin boards, Dells appear to have their share of problems as well and rather bad support to boot. I would be interested in your conclusions and how it might be better/different than what the magazines do who put lots of research into "the best computer".

As to this RAM problem, it is definitely not a hardware problem. He has a program with a memory leak that just continues to get worse over time. Might even be an early version of Windows95 with no patches, so the OS itself could be the problem.

regards,
dale

DANQU
09-05-2000, 11:19 PM
Hi mudguts
There might be a need to increase your swap file amount of virtual memory

Go to: http://www.acorn-online.com/redding.htm

then computer corner # 640
hope this helps
Dan

Charles Kozierok
09-06-2000, 09:54 AM
This problem says "virus or bad software" to me as well...

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

mudguts
09-06-2000, 08:44 PM
well, i've been trying alot of these ideas. i changed my virtual memory swap and installed a McAfee virus scanner. i couldn't get IE to run the first few times i tried it, i got an illegal operation message, the same thing happened when i tried to run ICQ and Netscape. i also see alot of illegal operation messages with Kernal32.DLL, i don't know if this is relevant or not, i don't know a whole lot about this computer stuff, but i'm learning. i really appreciate all the help http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif, i'll get this figured out sooner or later

------------------

--------Mudguts

mudguts
09-06-2000, 09:20 PM
i just got another IE illegal operation message and the details were:

IEXPLORE caused a stack fault in module SHLWAPI.DLL at 0167:70bd1caa.
Registers:
EAX=%1!.08x! CS=%2!.04x! EIP=%3!.08x! EFLGS=%4!.08x!
EBX=%1!.08x! SS=%2!.04x! ESP=%3!.08x! EBP=%4!.08x!
ECX=%1!.08x! DS=%2!.04x! ESI=%3!.08x! FS=%4!.04x!
EDX=%1!.08x! ES=%2!.04x! EDI=%3!.08x! GS=%4!.04x!
Bytes at CS:EIP:
%1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x! %1!.02x!
Stack dump:
%1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x! %1!.08x!

any ideas?

------------------

--------Mudguts

dale
09-06-2000, 09:41 PM
Based on your original post I would not have guess a bad memory chip, but now that you have posted more info, it "definitely sounds like a hardware problem" - love to contradict myself http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif . If the computer runs fine for half and hour or so, then I would go an check your CPU and power supply fans . If you system gets hot due to a fan not working properly then it will run for a bit and then start flaking out in wierd places. I have had a power supply fan go out on my eMachine as well. To "check the fans":

1) Power supply fan. Just put you hand on the back of the computer where you plug the power cord in and feel for air flow. If no airflow, then you might have identified the problem. If you have airflow but you hear an odd noise (like a bearing going out), then the fan might be slower than normal and a sign that the fan is going bad.

2) CPU Fan. You will have to remove the cover and then look more or less straight down into the cavity where the motherboard is and you should see a little fan staring at you. First, before you turn on the system, check the fan physically by turning it with your finger and make sure nothing is in the way to imped its operation. Then turn on the computer and see if the fan starts turning fast enough that you feel some airflow. If its not turning or its turning slowly, you have found the problem.

regards,
dale