PDA

View Full Version : compressing

barry73
09-08-2000, 12:23 AM
Need help hoping some one out knows what wrong with my lap top.
I have a lap top compaq LTE 5280 120 HMz pintium processor with windows 95
Irun a scan for errors and found one and had it corrected because i was going to compress the hard drive.
Anyway while compressing it just quit and the screen when blank.
It said to insert boot-disk and press any key booting from floppy disk
Starting windows 95...
A:\>mode con cp prepare=((850)ega.cpi)
Mode prepare code page function completed
A:\>mode concp select code page function completed
A:\>
A:\>
I tryed a few commands but no luck, i hope someone can help me thank you Barry 73

Charles Kozierok
09-08-2000, 07:58 PM
Barry, what is the current status of your C drive? Can you see any files on it? Error messages? Tell us as much as you can.

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

barry73
09-08-2000, 09:17 PM
ixl
There was noning else to tell you, i can get into set up menu which is f10,
but don't know to much about that part of the computer.If i give it a command it's says wrong or invalid command.that's all i can thik of right now. thanks ixl i gusse i'll have to buy a book. Barry73

ReddDogg
09-09-2000, 06:00 PM
ok, so you turn on your computer, and during boot process it says something about inserting a boot disk? Have you tried putting in a windows boot disk? If so, can you go into the c: directory (when it boots and you have teh a:\ prompt, type in cd c: and hit enter. If you get that prompt, if you use dir command, can you see your file system? if that works, what happens if you type in win and hit enter? Or "win /d:m" The latter is command to enter into safe mode.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

barry73
09-12-2000, 12:55 AM
Thanks to every one who tryed to help in fining out what was worng with my lap top. the hard just gave out on it, getting another replaced so thank once again to everyone. Barry73