PDA

View Full Version : Restart after Shutdown

JLarryB
08-28-2000, 10:31 PM
Since April, My EMachine ETower 366i has been acting weird. It will immediately restart after every shutdown. I am running Win98, and using the "Shutdown" command on the "Start" menu. I have reformatted my hard drive and tried every variation I can think of in my control panel, EMachine tech-(non)-support has not been able to point me in a productive direction. I have also experimented with "power management"
ANY IDEAS? I am going crazy over this silly problem.

s_antley
08-29-2000, 02:26 AM
Check out your Autoexec.bat file. Go to Accessories, System Tools, System Information, Then Configuration Utility. There will be several tabs Click on the one that says Autoexec.bat. Is there a line that might cause the unit to restart itself. Such as a WIN command or something similar. Also, are you installing from WIN98 SE or the original or are you installing from a set of restore disks provided by the manufacturer? I know that I was not completely helpful but this might point you in the right direction. If these are Manu. provided disks, try to get an original copy of Win98 instead. The problem is definately in the Configuration files.

MOB
09-06-2000, 08:06 AM
Hi JLarryB,

I've had the same problem myself with Win98. The best bet, and the one that worked for me, is to go to: Start/Programs/Accessories, then to System Tools and select System Information. Once there, click on "Tools" on the tool bar, then click on "System Configuration Utility", now, under the "General" tab click the "Advanced..." button, after all of this, you should be in the "Advanced Troubleshooting Settings" window. You should see a setting called, "Disable fast shutdown" - you'll probably find it unchecked. Click on it to disable the fast shutdown and you should be good to go!

Alternatively, you can also check out Microsoft's Win98 SE shutdown supplement which addresses this same problem at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp

Let me know if this info solves your problem!

Take it easy - Mal

DANQU
09-06-2000, 03:58 PM
Hi MOB

I am trying to find "System Configuration Utility" for some reason it is not under Start/Programs/Accessories. Can you please give me the file name with the extension and file location I would like to give it a try.
Thanks
Dan

dale
09-06-2000, 04:00 PM
Hey Dan,

Not sure of the short-cut to it in windows, but I type in "msconfig" in "Start->Run" and it comes up fine.

dale

MOB
09-06-2000, 06:13 PM
Hi Dan and Dale,

Yep, that works too! :-) Just like me to do everything the the hard way.
I'm just use to going the 'start > programs > ...' route out of habit.

But Dan, if you are running Win98 SE ( I guess the initial version of Win98 has it the same way) you should also find the "System Configuration Utility" by following the path:

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information.
Once you have the System Information window open, click on the "Tools"
button at the top and go down the menu that appears and you should see "System Configuration Utility". When you click on it and it appears, near the bottom right corner you should see the "Advanved..." button (this is on the "General" tabs part of the box - there are several other tabs also, such Config.sys, etc. - 6 tabs in all) . Click on that and you should get the "Advanced Troubleshooting Settings" box.

Anyway, Dales way is easiest and best!

Best regards,
Mal

DANQU
09-06-2000, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by dale:
Hey Dan,

Not sure of the short-cut to it in windows, but I type in "msconfig" in "Start->Run" and it comes up fine.

dale
OK
thanks
Dale

JLarryB
09-07-2000, 09:11 AM
I appreciate your attempt to help me, but alas, I am still baffled. I am not sure what to do with my autoexec.bat file (changing it without a clue seems foolhardy) I could show it to you if you feel that you could offer some insight. Thanks a million.

Originally posted by s_antley:
Check out your Autoexec.bat file. Go to Accessories, System Tools, System Information, Then Configuration Utility. There will be several tabs Click on the one that says Autoexec.bat. Is there a line that might cause the unit to restart itself. Such as a WIN command or something similar. Also, are you installing from WIN98 SE or the original or are you installing from a set of restore disks provided by the manufacturer? I know that I was not completely helpful but this might point you in the right direction. If these are Manu. provided disks, try to get an original copy of Win98 instead. The problem is definately in the Configuration files.

JLarryB
09-07-2000, 09:16 AM
MOB, DANQU, DALE: Thanks for the input, it was not successful. I appreciate your attempts. I am starting to suspect that my computer is possessed by an evil demon (Bill Gates?). Any other ideas? I appreciate your attempt(s) to help me.

Charles Kozierok
09-08-2000, 07:11 PM
When you say it restarts after every shutdown, do you mean the PC completely shuts down, you can hear the power go off, and then the power comes back on again? Or do you mean that instead of shutting down, the PC reboots?

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

ReddDogg
09-09-2000, 05:12 PM
An evil demon? you might very well be right. Your problem is just one of the many I have seen with emachines that don't make any sense. Not everyone would agree with me, but from my experience, I wouldn't take an emachine even if you offered to give it too me. I know their low price is so appealing, but they are so possessed by some of the weirdest bugs I have ever seen. However, if you reformat and put your own version of windows on it, that might help take care of the demons, who knows. Other than that I don't have any insight on what makes that reboot happen, but I have personally only seen it happen on emachines, and have never fixed it anythign short of putting store bought windows version back on it. Remember, any company that manufactures computers can make changes to the version of windows they put on there, taht is why there is a difference between oem version of windows and store bought version of windows.

------------------
Joe Redd
MCP

JLarryB
09-10-2000, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ixl:
When you say it restarts after every shutdown, do you mean the PC completely shuts down, you can hear the power go off, and then the power comes back on again? Or do you mean that instead of shutting down, the PC reboots?

LOSING MY MIND!! it seems to go thru a full normal shutdown, I can hear fan/HD spool down and it the immediately goes "click click" and re-boots.
I appreciate ANY insight anyone has...

Charles Kozierok
09-11-2000, 09:38 PM
Could be a power supply or motherboard glitch? How weird.
Does the BIOS have a setting to automatically boot the PC up? Worth a quick check..
Sorry not to be more helpful than that...

------------------
Charles M. Kozierok ( ixlubb@PCGuide.com )
Webslave, The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...

ophia921
09-12-2000, 08:39 PM
There must be someting about April. I have an Etower 466id and it is doing the exact same thing. I looked at some of the responses to see if any could help, but to my dismay they didn't. In my files though I don't have a disable fast shutdown in the menu. Emachines are evil...possibly even a spawn of satan. If anybody has any other ideas or have fixed this problem, please email me before I go crazy and kill my computer!

Becky http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/mad.gif

Rossgr
09-14-2000, 12:37 PM
This is a long shot. Could the power switch be stuck on. ATX power switchs are supposed to be momentary contact if the switch was not opening but staying closed I would expect something like this to happen. If you are up to it, open the case, find the wires going from the switch to the mobo. If you have documentation check that is connected to the right place on the mobo. If that is ok, you can remove the wire from the mobo, then very carefully use a small screw driver to short the pins the switch was connected to. Your computer should start up, now shut it down, if it does not restart you have found the problem.

If you have and know how to use a Multimeter you can just check the switch with that. That is the easiest and safest way to go, but not everyone has the equipment.

Rossgr
09-14-2000, 12:39 PM
This is a long shot. Could the power switch be stuck on. ATX power switchs are supposed to be momentary contact if the switch was not opening but staying closed I would expect something like this to happen. If you are up to it, open the case, find the wires going from the switch to the mobo. If you have documentation check that is connected to the right place on the mobo. If that is ok, you can remove the wire from the mobo, then very carefully use a small screw driver to short the pins the switch was connected to. Your computer should start up, now shut it down, if it does not restart you have found the problem.

If you have and know how to use a Multimeter you can just check the switch with that. That is the easiest and safest way to go, but not everyone has the equipment.

Shady
09-14-2000, 01:27 PM
Just a note. I had some software called "Fix It 2000" or something like that, that did the same thing to me. I would tell it to shut-down, and it would just reboot instead. After I removed all the Fix-It software, I was fine again.

Slim

wingz05
05-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Just ran in to this issue too. Unfortunately, none of the previous suggestions worked. The following instructions seemed to resolve the issue on my pc.

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/251/

In case the above link doesn't work:

Power the Computer Off After Shutdown (Windows NT/2000/XP)

This setting controls whether Windows should automatically power down or reboot your computer once it has finished the shutdown process.

Open your registry and find the key below.

Create a new string value, or modify the existing value, called PowerdownAfterShutdown and set it to "1" to power off the computer at shutdown, or "0" to reboot.

Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

Note: This feature must be supported by the computer's BIOS.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: PowerdownAfterShutdown
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: (0 = default, 1 = power down)

Whyzman
05-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Welcome tohttp://www.pcguide.com/ubb/pcgubb.gif Forums!

I've done this myself, :rolleyes: but the date of the thread you are responding is from September of 2000...a bit behind the times. ;)