PDA

View Full Version : Error message loading windows 95

JuicE
09-18-2000, 09:40 PM
HELP MEEEEEE!
I am a New owner of a screw balled out of date PACKARD HELL!! ha ha ha laugh at me if you want! It was free! Is it really worth it I ask!? I am getting an error
While initializing device IOS:
Error: An I/O subsystem driver
failed to load
Either a file in the .\iosubsys subdirectory
is corrupt or the system is low on memory.

HELP MEEEEE! What do I do I'm not good at this i just troubleshoot for a cable internet company!!!

Paleo Pete
09-21-2000, 03:06 AM
What is the machine and how much memory does it have?

My old Packard Bell Legend 100CD works great. It's a P-60 with Win 3.11. Packard Bells aren't noted for great quality, I don't think the problem is related to being a Packard Bell, however...I'll do some looking through the ever-maddening-wait-forever MicroSoft site in the morning. They have some info about start up errors.

Start by using the F5 key at boot and going to Step by Step Confirmation Let the following things run, say no to all others:
Load Doublespace Driver
Process the System Registry
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
Load the Windows Graphical User Interface
Load all Windows Drivers

Write down all changes, and add one thing at a time on each reboot until the problem starts again.

A check of bootlog.txt might give you some info too. Boot to a windows start up disk and type edit bootlog.txt at the A:\> prompt. [Alt] [F] [X] will close the editor.

I think edit will also open the win.ini file, type edit win.ini and look for lines that start with load= and run= and disable them by adding a semicolon ( ; ) and a space before each line, add them back one at a time same as you did with the previous step by step test. [Alt] [F] [S] will save the file after you make changes.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)