PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mandrake ConfigureX Problem

Tuzinor
10-06-2000, 05:31 PM
Rick- I just don't get it! I downloaded Mandrake 8.1-same problem- went into the Bios- disabled shadowing,AGP is set to auto,and the System performance is set to normal instead of optimal- so my card runs at 2x max.
8.1 has my monitor this time- it picks up my video card-shows the proper info.I've tried different combinations > keep getting the same message:
"/tmp/ppa.0 : Init_Module : No Such Device"
I even brought down my Dell monitor and tried it- samething.I even bypassed the Dxr3 decoder card and hooked the video out directly from the ATI card.Except for upgrading my Cd burner > I have the same hardware configuration as I had in the spring when I had installed 7.2.
What is /tmp/ppa.0 ?? I've tried the FBdev route- no luck there either.
I even attempted to install 8.0 on my old Dell- but evidently Linux doesn't support Home PNA PCI cards.Very frustrated-any help will be greatly appreciated- thank's- Dave

Tuzinor
10-05-2001, 12:24 AM
Linux Mandrake 8.0 Install Problem:
Have the following setup:
Asus A7V Motherboard
Amd 900Mhz Thunderbird
512mb PC 133 Ram
Samsung 950P Monitor
ATI All In Wonder 128 Pro 32mb 4x AGP Video Card
SoundBlaster MP3+ Soundcard
Yamaha 2100EZ CDRW
Creative Labs 6X PC-DVD Rom Drive
Maxtor ATA 100 Hard Drives (3)

My main OS is Windows 98SE.Linux Mandrake is on the partition after 98.
Previously had Mandrake 7.2 installed on that partition. I decided to do a fresh install of Mandrake 8.0 on this partition.
Problem: I have the same exact hardware setup now as I had when I originally installed 7.2.
With the install of 8.0 >when I get to configureX > I never get a successful test> I get the following message in the upper left corner of the screen:
"/tmp/ppa.0 : Init_Module : No Such Device"

I've tried all kinds of combinations in the ConfigureX setup- How do I solve this problem? I haven't played with Linux in awhile- I don't remember having these problems before when I installed 7.2 > my problem then was getting Mandrake to work with my Asus board with the Promise ATA 100 controller & booting with System Commander- learned how to edit the LiloConfig file to make it work.If I could get into a GUI succeesfully then maybe I could do whatever extra needs to be done.
At this point when I boot up,then CTL,ALT,F1 I get to a text login screen (no GUI),I've tried configuring again with XFdrake- still no luck.
I know I'm a linux newbie -during install should I be selecting automatically start X with one user and the KDE desktop selected?
Thank's in advance for anyone's help- dazed and confused- Dave

Rick
10-05-2001, 09:57 AM
I think youíll find the same problem you had with 7.2 is causing the boot problem again.
The promise ata controller .
I also have a problem with this chip on my Asus A7V .and RH7.1
If the promise is active I get nothing but errors .
Or I canít access anything connected to the chip/channel (Promise)

------------------
To ERR is HUMAN
To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !

Tuzinor
10-05-2001, 10:39 AM
Rick- I think you misunderstood me. I know how to deal with the Promise Controller- there are articles out there for using Linux with the Asus A7V MB. The problem I have is I cannot get a successful video test during the configureX part of the installation. That is what I'm trying to solve-thank's- Dave

Rick
10-05-2001, 07:15 PM
If it is purely a video problem.
May I suggest setting the video to the slowest limits and turn off all extra video features in the bios and on the card.

Then add them one at a time later if you get your GUI.
Agp 1x no shadow and so on.

------------------
To ERR is HUMAN
To REALLY screw things UP, YOU NEED a COMPUTER !