PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte Ga-5AX (Rev 5.X)

rroth@dwave.net
10-18-2000, 01:53 PM
This is a new system with a Gigabyte GA-5AX motherboard installed. Whenever I apply power all I receive are 4 beeps, one long beep, then three short beeps. No video on the screen, nothing. I have tried everything that I can think of, disconnecting all peripherals until I was down to a bare system with processor (AMD K6-2 500 MHZ), RAM and video card, plus hard and floppy drives. All components are new and have been checked out in an older system. I have sent an email meesage to Gigabyte's site, but no response. No surprise there! I have checked and rechecked all of the jumpers and dip switches. I do have one question about Jumper 11, which is the VCC3 connector. The manual shows two configurations but explains nothing. What is this for? I would appreciate any help. I have contacted the AMI BIOS site and information there indicates a clocking problem, but not necessarily. BEEEEp, beep, beep, beep!! That is all I get!
RRoth

jangolion
10-18-2000, 03:50 PM
first thing that come to mind is a grounding problem make sure the board is ground properly use rubber washers to mount the board properly . then make sure your jumper settings are equal to the 500 mhz processor. reaseat the processor and the video card. to reseat the processor take it out of the slot and power it on for a couple second to make the board look for it turn it off then put it back in and the board will cheach for it. and the video card it will shake loose from time time espessially if it a agp make sure its all the way down... remember to check all connections make sure they are all correct because alot of the time it is usually the obvious things that gets overlooked that causing the problem.... the beep are usually specific to each mother board check there web site or the manual the manual should also explain that jumper setting. it probably just an extra feature and im almost sure its not the proiblem http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by jangolion (edited 10-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by jangolion (edited 10-18-2000).]

Paleo Pete
10-18-2000, 11:00 PM
Check my site, I have a couple of links related to beep codes. I can't find 4-1-3 in my printed info, but the AMI beep code list I have says 4 beeps means either the memory or motherboard is bad. Reseat the memory, and check the links at my site to see if you can find anything concerning your particular beep code.

------------------
If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)