PDA

View Full Version : aaaaajeeezaaaargh#!!

jollygyent
11-19-2000, 05:28 PM
i give up trying to sort my driver problem. can someone tell me simply how to reinstall win98 over exsisting win98 that is corrupt. dont want to loose documents thanx

crypie
11-20-2000, 01:57 AM
Ok first of all, if you have a corrupt Win98 already, you may just be adding fuel to the fire by doing a "Dirty Reinstall". But I will give you step by step instructions on how to do this.
Ok first you will need the Win98 cdrom.
Now, in Win98, assuming you can get into the desktop, goto
A. Start > Find > Files or Folders > (filename) win.ini entered into Named.
B. Click Find Now.
C. Right click on win.ini, and select Rename, and rename it to winini.old
D. Repeat those same steps for "win.com" renaming it to wincom.old

Put the Win98 cdrom in the drive.
Reboot the system, enter your systems setup, and change the boot device to your cdrom, making your cdrom drive the first boot device.
Save the setup settings, and when your computer reboots, it will autoboot to the Win98 cdrom, once in, you will want to select "Reinstall Win98 over current operating system, and then go with the recommended settings throughout the rest of the install, you may need to reinstall your drivers
such as "modems, video, eth0, and any other devices you may have, you may also have to reinstall some of your programs, but that is how you do the dirty reinstall.

http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
w00p w00p (http://www.w00p.org)

Chuck
11-20-2000, 02:20 AM
Before doing a system re-install, have you checked to see if you have corrupt files? Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information: Click on tools at top of window, Run System File Checker. when it has finished ignore a corrupt User.exe if it appears. If it runs with no errors, re-installing Windows 98 is not necessary. If is finds corrupt files there is a way to replace them. If you have driver problems, they are to be solved individually.