PDA

View Full Version : problem installing any OS

tof2000
11-29-2000, 01:03 PM
When i tried to install an OS (linux or Windows) i cant' suceed to finish the install, under windows i have an error message whan booting :
Unble to load the VPICD driver-fatal windows protection error-you have to
restart your computer

I think it's an hardware problem but i'm not sure, my HD is formated

My Computer

Motherboard ABIT KT7
Duron 800
256 Mo RAM Infineon 133
TNT2 Viper 770
HD maxtor

If somebody has a solution to help me, i'm out of idea

Thanks

Tof

rUzz
11-29-2000, 02:43 PM
If you are installing windows/Linux on the same box make sure that you have cleaned the hard drive/partitioned it as follows one partition should be labeled c:\ for windows and make sure that the size is allocated to leave free space on the hard drive. If you have a 6 gig HD make a three gig partition labled c:\ This will keep windows from formatting the other three gigs so you can install Linux, to which will require three Partitions as follows

a "Linux native" make it at least 400M and label the mount point: /
a "Linux native" at least 400M label the mount point: /home
a "Linux swap" at least 120M no mount point needed

So now you should have 4 partitions cleaned and ready to go install windows to c:\

Do not install windows over top windows always do a fresh install by formatting c:\ first.

Running windows/Linux shouldn't be a problem. If you have never used Linux before hang on cause your pc is about to be put on steroids!

------------------
Stay alert, stay alive!

tof2000
11-29-2000, 03:54 PM
OK But the problem is I CAN'T install windows neither Linux, even if with safe partionning

rUzz
11-29-2000, 10:17 PM
If you are doing clean installs and getting the error I would say that it is your CD-ROM or corrupt data.

I thought about your question while I was at school tonight. It reminded me of a error I was receiving.

I had bought a laptop with 95 installed. It didn't have cd-rom support. I wanted to set up a direct cable connection. I didn't have 95 on floppy. So I put the 95 CD in another box. When I got the error could not load ***.dll
I searched the CD and copied it to floppy then inserted it into the laptop. It was a very tediuos process but it worked.

------------------
Stay alert, stay alive!