PDA

View Full Version : Does Windows Media Player 7 work for anyone?

Reid
04-27-2001, 07:11 AM
I downloaded Media Player 7 upgrades a few days ago, but it still keeps losing radio presets and crashes the system while playing MP3s. I'm not surprised; just wonder if it does anything right for anyone. I know I can use WinAmp for MP3s, but I like the RealPlayer spyware less than MP7.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

mjc
04-27-2001, 09:32 AM
Reid,

I haven't had any problems at all with it or IE5.5 either, but I was looking at IE setup log last night, because many of the version numbers for its dlls didn't match what MS said they should be, and guess what, in the log it said, first line "starting setup IE 5.xxxxx JAP". I downloaded IE 5.5 and WM7 about the same time (before Christmas) both directly from MS Update Site. Also everything on my system is still in English (I wonder if I had had Japanese character support what would have happened?).

I had also read somewhere (some comment/post) that IE5.5, WM7 and DX8.0 all seemed to behave better if all three where installed together...does kind of make a little sense but I can't really say for sure but I did do all three....

So I wonder if when and what you get when you download it has something to do with how well it will behaves?

------------------
mjc
Links list:Computer Links (http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/highrise/11/index.htm)

Reid
04-27-2001, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I may plug in one of the spare hard drive bays and try a fresh load of WIN98SE on it and see how it works.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

sea69
04-27-2001, 10:29 AM
hey..

Had you ever tried musicmatch (http://www.musicmatch.com/)

much nicer than "Real"..... and not spyware.

**note: I installed the upgrades all at the same time.. and all of my apps and files associations work flawlessly weather it be using Napster music player, musicmatch or WMP-7.

------------------
sea1_69@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by sea69 (edited 04-27-2001).]

balasubramanian.A
05-06-2001, 03:26 AM
yes it does work for me. i was able to run mp3 files and presets for radio too works well. but faced a lot of problem with WindowsME as u said. so unistalled it and got a step back to win98SE and isntalled winMP7 and every thing is going fine now. better try this way. bye.

Originally posted by Reid:
I downloaded Media Player 7 upgrades a few days ago, but it still keeps losing radio presets and crashes the system while playing MP3s. I'm not surprised; just wonder if it does anything right for anyone. I know I can use WinAmp for MP3s, but I like the RealPlayer spyware less than MP7.

------------------
bala

Paleo Pete
05-07-2001, 10:48 AM
Well, haven't used it for MP3, so I just pulled one up and started it, seems to be working fine so far. Haven't tried radio presets either, but a quick try and it seems to stop for buffering a couple of times then does ok.

I installed IE5.0, WMP7 at different times, and I think I'm still running DirectX 5.

So far the only thing I've used MP7 for is video, which works well, no problems at all yet. For MP3 I use Winamp, at least for the few I have...about 5 I think...Only problem I've had is the system freezing a couple of times when it opened, but I think that's a memory problem, and it's not restricted to Media Player, it happens with IE too, especially if I run several windows at once for a few hours. Memory gets loaded up or eventually something is not removed from memory when it's shut down, I'm not sure which yet...

------------------
So many idiots, and only six bullets...
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

Reid
05-07-2001, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the info. I just wish I had stayed with MP6 since it did what I needed. I think I'll wait until DSL comes in before I start looking for media players again. I get 52k dialup, which is a bit slow for some stuff.

Pete, I used MemTurbo (http://www.memturbo.com) to "freshen up" memory rather than rebooting. It worked well for me.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com