PDA

View Full Version : Windows NT startup error

question1
12-27-2000, 09:05 AM
I recently purchased 12 new Dell OptiPlex machines. These machines came preloaded with Windows NT. They are great new machines; however, on all 12, when I boot them up I am getting an NT error message (at least one service has failed......). The machines run just fine when you cancel the message, but I would like to get it taken care of. Does anyone know where Microsoft has a list of their error codes for Windows NT?? The code in the event viewer is something like 2601????

Thanks in advance.

scada
12-27-2000, 10:00 AM
If you don't have access to Microsoft's Technet then try the Knowledge Base. Search on the error text and not the code. For instance the error code "2601" is both a NT installer error AND a SQL error. ( They don't both appear in the event viewer. But I don't think your running SQL on all your desktops)

So the code alone won't help you to find out what's wrong.

Good luck http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

P.S. If there is no text then try the search with both the error code and the process that is reporting the error.

[This message has been edited by scada (edited 12-27-2000).]

sleddog
12-28-2000, 09:09 PM
What does the Event Viewer show?

kenja
12-30-2000, 07:44 PM

All kinds of good stuff, sleddog. The Windows 2000 Event Viewer consists of an Application Log, a Security Log, and a System Log.

Looking at my current machine's Application Log: It contains 4,412 events (I can adjust the size of these logs, currently set at the default). These application events are either Information or Error messages. Here's the most recent entries:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 37
Date: 12/30/2000
Time: 3:07:44 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CMPQ
Description:
WMI ADAP was unable to load the winspool.drv performance library due to an unknown problem within the library: 0x0

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Oakley
Event ID: 542
Time: 3:07:29 PM
Description:
The IP Security policy for ISAKMP/Oakley specified an encryption algorithm that is invalid due to export cryptography restrictions. All 3DES encryption used by ISAKMP/Oakley is weakened to standard DES encyption. Generally, this is benign. ISAKMP/Oakley will still be able to negotiate IP security parameters, and protect that negotiation with DES encryption. This should only be of concern if you demand that the ISAKMP/Oakley negotiation be protected with 3DES encryption. If this is the case, please contact your network administrator.

Looking at the Security Log: It's empty, because I haven't set up anything to be audited.

Looking at the System Log: It contains 1,671 events of three types: Information, Warning, and Error messages. This is where I look for services that aren't working (I also use the Services "Plug-in" in Administrative Tools). Example:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: EventLog
Event ID: 6005
Time: 3:07:01 PM
Description:
The Event log service was started.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Print
Event ID: 20
Date: 12/28/2000
Time: 11:06:02 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
Printer Driver NEC SuperScript 870 for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- UNIDRV.DLL, UNIDRVUI.DLL, NC870.GPD, UNIDRV.HLP, NCPCLRES.DLL, UNIRES.DLL, STDNAMES.GPD.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1002
Time: 3:43:34 AM
Description:
The IP address lease 192.168.0.3 for the Network Card with network address 0050BAD17F5F has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

I love Windows 2000.

sleddog
12-30-2000, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by kenja:

All kinds of good stuff, sleddog. The Windows 2000 Event Viewer
I love Windows 2000.

Ahem... I meant to say, to the original poster, "What are the messages in the Event Log for the failed services?"

I'm on NT4 myself. http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

And that was a damn fine description kenja!

kenja
12-30-2000, 11:33 PM
oops.

After I posted, I wondered if that was the case. Sorry for clogging up your bandwidth, Paleo Pete!

Paleo Pete
12-31-2000, 06:33 AM
No problem, and it seemed it was what he asked for so...

------------------
My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)