PDA

View Full Version : Diminished Audio Volume on Windows 2000

kenja
12-22-2000, 08:30 AM
Compared to Win98, Windows 2000 has greatly reduced audio volume capabilities. This happens both with input (microphone) and output (stereo receiver or stand-alone (or built-in) speakers). I don't believe this is a troubleshooting problem: all sliders are maxed out, and this occurs across multiple hardware platforms (Compaq Presario, IBM Thinkpad, Dell Dimension). This phenomenon has also been noted in the Thinkpad users' forum. Happens with both of my W2k versions: Professional and Server.

I'm thinking the Registry could be tweaked to remedy this situation.

Here is where I've searched (so far in vain) for information: Microsoft Support, W2k Resource Kits (Server & Pro), Minasi's Mastering W2k (Server & Pro), Sybex Mastering W2k Registry, IBM and Compaq support sites.

I can't believe this isn't more of an issue, but this blurb on the Microsoft site is the only thing that even comes close:

"SYMPTOMS
When you upgrade your computer from Microsoft Windows 98 to Windows 2000, your speakers may not work correctly.

CAUSE
This issue can occur if you use a speaker selection other than Desktop Stereo Speakers in the "Sounds and Multimedia" tool.

Windows 2000 Setup configures the "Sounds and Multimedia" tool to use Desktop Stereo Speakers, which is the default speaker selection."
[unquote]

Well, I've never performed an upgrade, always a clean install of W2k. Besides, "Desktop Stereo Speakers" IS the option selected on my desktops (under Control Panel > Sounds & Multimedia > Audio > Advanced > Speakers).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hiredgoonz
01-02-2001, 02:45 AM
Could just be a driver issue with 2000...when I went to 2000 from 98, I had numerous problems (installed to a blank hd) with the drivers provided by the sound card manufacturer...try to update the drivers using the Microsoft Windows Update...moght not help since you have the problem on multiple systems, but it fixed my problems...good luck

scada
01-02-2001, 11:24 AM
I would agree with hiredgoonz. I have never had this problem with any Windows 2000 installation. What type of sound card do you use? And what software are you using to test the "in-out" sound performance of your computers?

kenja
01-03-2001, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the input.

I should have specified my audio devices: no cards, just the integrated ESS Solo (in the Presario and Thinkpad) and Crystal 3D (CS4280) (in the Emachine).

IBM support site tells me to use the native Microsoft driver. Wrong. I found an ESS driver (for a different model) that now gives me the equivalent volume as Win98, if not more. (I can't find my Radio Shack decibel meter, to be able to make a more objective statement.)

The new driver was no help in getting more sensitivity out of the Presario's microphone in/ line out circuits, as evidenced by the VU meters of my tape deck. I can live with that, it was the reduced volume on the Thinkpad with W2k that bugged me the most.

Proving, once again, the importance of good drivers! http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

hiredgoonz
01-03-2001, 10:10 PM
glad you got it fixed...my original w2k sound drivers would adjust the volume up and down by themselves while any sound was playing...that was really irritating...