PDA

View Full Version : Defrag Error Message: ID NO:DEFRAG00205

gazerro
01-09-2001, 11:58 AM
My system is Windows 98, Second Edition. I have followed instructions for Microsofts's Article ID: Q238165 which claims the Applog folder is damaged. The recommendation is to remove the files. When I try to defrag I am still getting the 00205 error. When error occurs the suggestion is to go back and scandisk. Complete scan reveals no errors or bad sectors. Any help would be appreciated.

Paleo Pete
01-11-2001, 07:37 AM
Use the [F8] key to boot to Command Prompt only At the C:\> prompt type
scanreg_/fix using a space in place of the underscore used here. That repairs the windows registry. After you get the "Registry has been repaired" message type win at the C:\> prompt to start Windows. Then if that doesn't help: (I think it might not...)

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling defrag from Control Panel-Add/Remove Programs Click the Windows Setup tab, Highlight System Tools, click Details, uncheck the box beside Defrag, click OK, then click Apply. Reboot and do the reverse to reinstall. You'll need the win98 CD on hand, or the install files stored in a folder on the hard drive.

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!
Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links (http://www.geocities.com/paleopete/)

gazerro
01-12-2001, 12:26 PM
Under Windows Setup tab there is no Defrag option in System Tools. Found Defrag file in Windows folder. Deleted it and replaced it with extracted Windows 98 file on hard drive. Rebooted. Still doesn't work. Defrag reaches 19% and then 00205 error. Thanks, Gazerro