PDA

View Full Version : ME dll issue

4thandgoal
01-31-2001, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I am attempting to help someone who has ME issues. They are getting several dll errors. I have searched MS, but could not find what I am looking for. I am told they keep getting an error with "tgshell" in the message. Does anyone have a good link for ME they would like to share (besides MS)?

Randy_tx
01-31-2001, 03:06 PM
The very best thing you could do for your friend is to suggest he(she) format the hard drive and start over with Win 98 SE. Seriously, you could spend weeks jacking with a ME system and never get it right ....at least until the second Service Update comes out....the first one didnt really solve many of the issues I've heard about. I dont know of any resources other than MS for ME issues and they usually deny, deny, deny (it's not our problem!).

4thandgoal
01-31-2001, 04:10 PM
That is exactly what I suggested to him. To many "new" MS products are full of bugs (and full of other things I will not go into).

Reid
01-31-2001, 09:55 PM
I had bad experiences with ME and went back to SE, but this might not be a dll problem. A search shows that:

"TGShell is a small powerfull shell for older PCs like
XTs, 286s, 386s and 486s. Runs using DOS compatible system
and it's small enougth to fit on a 360K diskette (until
now only the .EXE is needed and it's only 70K). You can
use FreeDOS to make it a bootable GUI but from default is
just another one DOS application."

Are they possibly trying to run a DOS program? If it has worked for them before, the problem may be because ME does not support DOS like Windows has before.

Also found this on Deja:

"I had a similar problem and found out that the problem is related to a restore program that @ home adds to your software bundle. You don't really need it so go to Start, Run, type in "msconfig".go to the Startup tab, uncheck any of the items in the list that has the name "@home/tioga" in the command line. Close this out and restart your computer. This should cure the problem".

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 01-31-2001).]

lamier
02-04-2001, 05:41 PM
I have ME on my system and have no problems. HOWEVER! I will agree that if you're running one of those upgrades, you can run into some serious problems. If you've done an upgrade, try getting the full version, that will help. If you're still having problems, it's probably windows not liking part of your computer.