PDA

View Full Version : Win2000 Installation Problem

tomlunt
02-13-2001, 03:22 PM
Well, I did it this morning. I added Win2000 Professional to my computer. Thankfully I set it up to dual boot with Win98 or I wouldn't be writing this now. I used Partition Magic before i started the installation.
The installation seemed to go all-right, but i have run in to 2 serious problems. In order, here they are:

1. Modem troubles. In Win98, my modem is installed on Com2. In Win2000 - it's on Com1 (I think) but doesn't work. I think i switched it to Com2, but still no luck. I'm lost.

Inside Win2000 device manager, i have 2 "?". First, and my guess is that this is part of the problem, I need a driver for "PCI Simple Communications Controller". Win2000 looks on the HD and on the Win2000 CD, but no luck.

2. Network troubles. The network card appeared to install correctly, but I cannot see any other computers on the peer to peer network. The workgroup name is correct, but i can't see any other computers. Are workgroup names case sensitive?

For now it's back to using the Win98 and getting some work done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tommy

PS - the drivers for the modem and network card are correct and up to date. Also, the BIOS is current.

Mikelh
02-13-2001, 05:47 PM
Why did you want a dual boot? I'm using Win2K and have never looked back to Win98. I don't see any reason to have the two together.

You'll have problems with the dual boot unless you fully understand the how's and why's of two operating systems.

Did you run chkupgrd before you installed Win2K? If not, it's on the Win2K CD in the i386 folder. Run it to check for compatibility issues.

My suggestion. Dump 98 and move forward!

Michael

[This message has been edited by Mikelh (edited 02-13-2001).]

Ghost_Hacker
02-14-2001, 10:21 AM
For your "network" problem open the network icon in the control panel.
Right click "local area connection" and goto "properites".You should see
"client for..." and "file and printer..." there should also be either TCP/IP or NetBeui listed. If Netbeui is already listed then open the "run" window and type "\\computer-name" (computer-name = the actual name of the other computer on your network. Computer names and workgroup names are not case sensitive) What happens?

If only TCP/IP is listed then highlight that protocol and click "properities". Make sure the IP information is correct for your network. Now click "advance" and click the "wins" tab. Make sure "enable netbios over TCP/IP" is choosen. Now close all windows and repeat the "run"
procedure outlined earlier. What happens?

For your modem problem what error is reported when you try to use it?
What type of modem do you have?

Hope this helps http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
"It's just a whisper in my Ghost"

[This message has been edited by Ghost_Hacker (edited 02-14-2001).]

tomlunt
02-14-2001, 10:40 AM
Michael (and Ghost - who replied while i was typing) -

Thanks for the reply. I went with the dual boot because I was afraid this might happen. I'm really glad i did or i would have lost a full week of work.

I think I finally got most of my problems fixed. I called Microsoft and they were stumped for a while but finally walked me through a few steps and got the network up and running.

Also, i didn't have the correct modem driver installed. I went with the model number from the back of the modem - when i opened the case and pulled the modem out i found a slightly different model number (2925 v. 2925M). I downloaded the new driver, but it didn't work either. So i gave up, drove to Staples and spent $50 on a new US Robotics modem, which installed and works perfectly. It's even faster than the old one (old usually connected around 37Kbps, the new one 45Kbps).

So i have just about everything running in Win2000. I still need to work out some kinks sharing other printers on the network, but nothing crucial.

Thanks.

Tommy

[This message has been edited by tomlunt (edited 02-14-2001).]