PDA

View Full Version : Win98 or Win ME?

DirtyBird
02-18-2001, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is quite the right forum for a question like this, but... I'm building a new system after finally deciding that my old 266 MHz PII needs to retire. And I'm unsure as to get Windows 98 SE or Windows ME. Lots of bad things are said about Win ME, like the system restore eating HD space among other things, but Win 98 SE is said to be buggy quite often. And still having Windows 95, I have absolutely no experience with either, and an OS is not cheap, so I want to be sure I don't mess up there. So 98SE or ME?

hiredgoonz
02-18-2001, 09:22 PM
98 SE performs slightly faster than ME on benchmarks (due to the system restore) you can shut the system restore off, but then what's the difference netween ME and 98SE?

ME has some nice idiot-proof features like the camera/scanner wizard...and it has built in support for zip files, plus the movie maker software, although I've never used it so I can't vouch for its usefulness...

In my experience, ME ran a little more reliably than 98, I noticed that when a program crashed, it didn't always take the rest of the system with it. In 98, I never had a blue screen that actually let me return to the system without a restart, in ME, it usually would come back (ironic that a comparison of which MS OS is better has to include the OS's behavior when crashing), but I've heard alot of horror stories about ME.

I went with Windows 2000/Windows 98 dual-boot for my new system...runs great, VERY few crashes...2 or 3 in about 6 months and I haven't had to reinstall it in all that time...I don't think I ever went 6 months on 98 without a reformat/reinstall...I'm happy with 2000...but I needed 98 for a few things that weren't compatible with 2000...if you're buying mostly new hardware, you should be fine with 2000 alone, just something to think about...

Reid
02-19-2001, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by hiredgoonz:
ME has some nice idiot-proof features like the camera/scanner wizard

It would be nice if that feature worked. I have a "supported" camera, a Casio QV-770, but the Windows Imaging Acquisition only caused the camera to lock up (guess they should have used me for the test idiot). Windows ME also kept the IR port from working with anything that worked before.

IE 5.5 was buggy enough to be useless and Netscape 4.7 crashed frequently in ME, while working fine in SE.

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

mjc
02-19-2001, 12:54 AM
As far as I can figure out neither is a model of stability, they just have different problems. My father-in-law's machine is ME and a faster processor (633Mhz Celeron) mine is 98SE(500Mhz Celeron) and my machine is noticeably faster (openning a program, booting, whatever). Both systems have the same MOBO and similar peripherals. Both experience hangs and crashes. I haven't had a problem with IE 5.5 though I did it as an update to 5.0 (thats what came with my machine so I get it back from 'system restore' disk (Manufacturer supplied)). I'm beginning to think that all flavors of WIN have "prefferd" peripherals and systems components because stability seems to vary so much from machine to machine. I've done 4 formats and installs in the past year, 3 were my fault (one I was trying to get rid of a duplicate dll that I knew was causing a problem and I erased all dlls in the systems directory. The second I was having Netscape problems. Third was moving everything to a new HDD), other than the one remaining I wouldn't really have needed any of the others except maybe the move had I not made some stupid errors.

One of the other things I don't like about ME is the way ceratin things are nearly impossible to change. DOS has been severely restricted, so much so that it almost doesn't exist so if you have an older DOS application (game) that you really like (the real motivator for what software you should use) then you don't really have much choice about keeping it. There have been many device conflicts with ME but as more driver updates come out they seem to be disappearing.

------------------
mjc
To ME or NOT to ME....

hiredgoonz
02-19-2001, 10:01 AM
That's too bad about the Casio camera...my scanner setup was a lot easier using the wizard than the setup disk that canon supplied...and didn't make me register my scanner w/canon for the umpteenth time...

Windows (any version) seems to do what IT wants to do instead of what you tell it sometimes...I've had good luck with 2000 so far...probably die tonight though...

If you can wait for Whistler or XP or whatever they're calling it now...that is supposed to be the answer to everyone's prayers...the compatibility of 9x (god help us) with the stability of 2000...

Randy_tx
02-19-2001, 11:19 AM
I've been running Win98 since I was a beta tester for MS running the first version they came with and I've NEVER had to do a reinstall. I have since upgraded to Win98 SE. Since I've always hated Windows ( I would have been happy to stay with Os2 !) I have just tried to find the "least" problematic ver. to run in my computer. I believe Win 98 SE is the best thing MS has to offer right now for the home user. Unless you are putting Win Me in a NEW, VERY fast computer(at least 800 mhz) I wouldnt do it, and then I would wait till they come with a second "Service Update" to finish fixing all of it's problems.

------------------
"As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT

hiredgoonz
02-19-2001, 12:37 PM
Wow, 98 likes you better than me I guess...I NEVER had an install of 98 that ran longer than a few months before it began taking an exceesively long time to start...programs would stop responding randomly (in all fairness they would restart after a few minutes if you let them go, but who wants to do that?)

I ran the defragger and scandisk at the recommended intervals, shut down properly, installed and uninstalled programs per the correct procedure...and windows98 just performed worse and worse the longer it was installed...I'd blame myself, but I know I'm not the only person this happens to...

As long as your system is compatible (and that can be a big if unless it's a new system) 2000 is far superior in both performance (yes, my system is faster w/2000 than it was w/98 or ME) and stability (a crash every few months as opposed to every few days) to 98 or ME...

hiredgoonz
02-19-2001, 01:36 PM
Wow, 98 likes you better than me I guess...I NEVER had an install of 98 that ran longer than a few months before it began taking an exceesively long time to start...programs would stop responding randomly (in all fairness they would restart after a few minutes if you let them go, but who wants to do that?)

I ran the defragger and scandisk at the recommended intervals, shut down properly, installed and uninstalled programs per the correct procedure...and windows98 just performed worse and worse the longer it was installed...I'd blame myself, but I know I'm not the only person this happens to...

As long as your system is compatible (and that can be a big if unless it's a new system) 2000 is far superior in both performance (yes, my system is faster w/2000 than it was w/98 or ME) and stability (a crash every few months as opposed to every few days) to 98 or ME...

Oops, got an error and posted twice...

[This message has been edited by hiredgoonz (edited 02-19-2001).]

sameersg
02-19-2001, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Reid:
It would be nice if that feature worked. I have a "supported" camera, a Casio QV-770, but the Windows Imaging Acquisition only caused the camera to lock up (guess they should have used me for the test idiot). Windows ME also kept the IR port from working with anything that worked before.

IE 5.5 was buggy enough to be useless and Netscape 4.7 crashed frequently in ME, while working fine in SE.

Hi,

I have recently Installed Win ME on PII
I had problem with IE ,Win Media Player and Netscape after few interval ( 5 to 10 min time ) I got message saying some or other file missing and try to restart and see, After every restart problem was still there
every time different file name was taken,

DO YOU HAVE ANY SOLUTION FOR IT ????????

bassman
02-19-2001, 03:11 PM
Hey Bird, and all others here. I am running ME on a Compaq laptop PIII 650, 188mg. ram (128 aftermarket). For peripherals I have Zipdrive usb, jamcam usb, older Cannon printer parallel, older HP printer parallel. The only thing I have trouble with is the HP (won't print all the backround colors in picture type jobs). As for software I have a wide assortment of programs. 2 Cadds, 1 large landscape design, I am even running a third party fax and voice program because Compaq was kind enough to not include it on my machine. I had a couple of problems with AOL and IE5.5 in the beginning but fixed all that with an MS patch. I have had this machine for 5 months and have not crashed once. If you ask my wife I spend way to much time on it, but I also don't tweek it like a lot of the people here do. My vote is for ME on a newer machine and stay with 95 on an older machine. Good luck.

------------------
is a feesh taco shaaaped like a feesh

BigBlue66
02-19-2001, 03:51 PM
Hi,

For what it's worth, my vote is for 98SE. I have never had any problems with it and it's been up and running for several months.

'Course, my vote is biased because I have never used ME, but from the stories I hear, I don't want to. I don't have a blazing fast processor and loads of RAM right now, which I understand to be essential for ME. Until I do, I won't even consider using ME. That, and a couple more years for them to work the bugs out. (Murphy's Law: There is always one more bug) If you are just planning to bump up the speed of your processor modestly, I say 98SE.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66